Over 700 Barges Stranded by Mississippi River Closure in Memphis Due to Bridge Crack
The U.S. Coast Guard said 44 vessels with a total of 709 barges are now in the queue as a 1-miles stretch of the Mississippi River remains closed after a...
The US Coast Guard brings us their 10 most popular pages.
1. Merchant Mariner Documentation (MMD) / Standards for Training Certification & Watchkeeping (STCW) / National Maritime Center (NMC)
2. Civilian Careers
3. Coast Guard Reserve
4. CG Personnel Service Center (PSC), Arlington VA
5. National Vessel Documenation Center (NVDC)
6. Training Center Cape May, NJ
7. USCG Directives System
8. CG District Seven (D7), Miami FL
9. iCommandant – Commandant’s Blog
10. Uniform Distribution Center (UDC)
The top ranked page belongs to the mariner licensing branch of the US Coast Guard. While we visit the page often it’s more famous for taking the place of USCG.mil/stcw, a page in much need of a redesign. Also interesting is the absence of Homeport from the list. Homeport was created as an “all in one” solution for finding information on ports, vessels and mariners but never gained popularity with industry insiders. We think the main reason for it’s failure is the security “feature” that prevents us from linking directly to pages within Homeport. What use is the information if we can’t easily share it with friends & colleagues?
We are also happy to see iCommandant – Web Journal of Admiral Thad Allen make the list. iCommandant just celebrated their 200th blog posting (where they mentioned gCaptain as a good read!)
For the record, here are the official USCG pages that we use the most.
If your looking for Unofficial Coast Guard site then try these links:
Join the 68,661 members that receive our newsletter.
Have a news tip? Let us know.