PANAMA CITY (Reuters) – Panamanian President Jose Raul Mulino said on Thursday that the concession of contracts to operate two ports held and operated for nearly three decades by Hong Kong’s CK Hutchison Holdings will “never again” be issued to a single company.
Panama’s Supreme Court last week nullified CK Hutchison’s contract to operate two ports along its strategic canal through its Panama Ports Company subsidiary, ruling that the contracts violated the Central American nation’s constitution by giving the company exclusive privileges and tax exemptions.
“I don’t expect this situation to escalate,” Mulino said, calling the court’s decision definitive. “Panama is a dignified country and will not allow itself to be threatened by any country on earth.”
On Tuesday, China warned Panama there would be “heavy prices” to pay for the court ruling which China’s Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office called “absurd” and “shameful and pathetic.” They vowed to defend the interests of Chinese companies.
Mulino added that it was unclear when the ruling would be enforced. In the meantime, the Panama Ports Company would continue to operate both ports, he said.
“The Panamanian state decides on the concession scheme to be granted much later,” he added.
On Wednesday, CK Hutchison said its Panama Ports Company unit had started international arbitration proceedings against Panama, in a case that could take years to resolve.
The decision and move to seek arbitration cast further doubt on the future ownership of the two ports and the company’s planned $23 billion deal to sell its port businesses (to Blackrock).
Reporting by Elida Moreno in Panama City and Raul Cortes in Mexico City, Writing by Stefanie Eschenbacher, Editing by Daina Beth Solomon and Matthew Lewis
CK Hutchison Holdings Ltd. commenced international arbitration proceedings against Panama, seeking more than $1.5 billion in damages over the loss of its investments in two ports on the country’s strategic canal.
By Lucia Kassai and Ruth Liao (Bloomberg) — A container ship paid $4 million to cut the line at the Panama Canal, where wait times are stretching more than a week,...
Global trade faces a fresh headache on top of the months-long snarls in the Middle East that have roiled flows, with the Panama Canal moving to curtail some vessel-booking slots because of water-supply challenges.
July 21, 2026
Total Views: 4089
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 104,384 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 104,384 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.