Cargo Ship Destroyed in New Attack Off Yemen
A cargo ship has been declared a constructive total loss after being struck by multiple unknown projectiles off Yemen, marking another attack in an increasingly volatile southern Red Sea. UK...
By Alex Longley
Jun 15, 2024 (Bloomberg) –A ship that was abandoned after being hit by a drone in the Red Sea is slowly taking on water, with two vessels on their way to try and rescue it.
The crew of the Tutor, which was the first vessel to be hit with a waterborne explosive launched by Yemen’s Houthi rebels, were rescued by a US Navy ship, according to a statement from US Central Command. One seafarer was missing after the attack. A salvage company said Friday it has dispatched two tug boats to the ship.
The Houthis have been attacking vessels in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since the end of last year, a move they say is in protest against Israel’s war with Hamas. The knock-on effect has been a disruption to world shipping that has sent swaths of the global fleet sailing thousands of miles around Africa.
Centcom also said that it had destroyed two more sea drones Friday, as well as seven radars allowing the Houthis to target ships.
A second ship that caught fire this week has resumed its journey after its crew extinguished the blaze, the statement said.
© 2024 Bloomberg L.P.
This article contains reporting from Bloomberg, published under license.
Sign up for gCaptain’s newsletter and never miss an update
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.
Sign Up