Baltic Index Falls Further On Lower Capesize, Panamax Rates
Aug 6 (Reuters) – The Baltic Exchange’s main sea freight index, which tracks rates for ships carrying dry bulk commodities, fell for the third straight day on Tuesday, as rates for panamax and capesize vessels continued to slip.
* The overall index, which factors in the average daily earnings of capesize, panamax, supramax and handysize dry bulk transport vessels, dipped 12 points or 1.13 percent, to 1,046 points.
* The capesize index lost 32 points, or 1.65 percent, to 1,907 points.
* Average daily earnings for capesizes, which typically transport 150,000-tonne cargoes of commodities such as iron ore and coal, slipped $255 to $11,801.
* The panamax index fell 17 points, or 1.68 percent, to 992 points.
* Average daily earnings for panamaxes, which usually carry 60,000 to 70,000 tonne cargoes of coal or grain, dropped $133 to $7,888. (Reporting by Shrutee Sarkar in Bangalore; Editing by Anthony Barker)
(c) 2013 Thomson Reuters, All rights reserved.
Sign up for our newsletter
Be the First
Join the 62,330 members that receive our newsletter.
Have a news tip? Let us know.