Trump Seeks Sanctions On European Subsea Gas Pipeline
By Andrea Shalal (Reuters) – The United States is urging European allies and private companies to halt work that could help build the Nord Stream 2 natural gas pipeline and...
Italian oil company Eni Norge this week officially inaugurated its Goliat oil field in Norway, marking the first oil field to come on stream in the Barents Sea.
The Goliat field is located 55 miles northwest of Hammerfest and is being developed using the largest and most sophisticated floating cylindrical production and storage (FPSO) concept in the world, known as the Goliat FPSO.
The platform was built using the most advanced technologies available to meet the technical and environmental challenges linked to Arctic offshore operations. The FPSO is powered from shore through a subsea electrical cable, which will cut CO? emissions from Goliat by up to 50 percent.
The platform has a production capacity of 100,000 barrels of oil per day and storage capacity of 950.000 barrels. Its estimated recoverable reserves are ca 180 million barrels of oil. Field life is currently estimated to 20 years, with significant upside already identified, according to Eni.
Production at Goliat started on March 12, 2016, and was followed by a rapid production ramp-up of all wells. Production will be facilitated using a subsea system consisting of 22 wells (17 of which are already completed), including twelve production wells, seven water injectors and three gas injectors.
“This is a proud moment for everyone in Eni Norge. It is the culmination of years of hard work by many dedicated people. We are now entering into a new phase as operator on the Norwegian continental shelf. The start-up of production from Goliat is an important milestone in Eni’s growth strategy”, says Andreas Wulff, External Communication Manager.
As operator, Eni holds a 65% stake in Production Licence 229, with Norway’s Statoil holding the remaining 35%.
Join the 65,850 members that receive our newsletter.
Have a news tip? Let us know.