Updated: November 17, 2020 (Originally published August 18, 2020)
2019 photo of MSC Grandiosa in the Port of Rotterdam. Image via MSC
Last week Italy’s government gave permission for cruise lines to resume operations and, on Sunday, MSC Grandiosa became the first cruise ship to sail the Mediterranean since the outbreak of COVID-19. The departure comes as virus cases continue to rise around Italy, with more than 600 reported by authorities on Saturday.
The first guests began embarking MSC Cruises’ flagship in the port of Genoa, Italy Sunday morning and followed the company’s new universal screening procedures which includes a temperature check, medical review of a health questionnaire and an antigen COVID-19 swab test. After completing these steps and waiting for the results, guests who passed the examination were allowed to embarked the ship where they received a wristband, which provides them with contactless options whilst onboard and can “help to facilitate proximity and contact tracing”.
MSC Cruises said it will also be operating the MSC Grandiosa at around 70% capacity, with approximately 2,500 passengers on board, to ensure safety protocols. This is seen as a first step towards rebooting an industry that generates an estimated $150bn annually – according to the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) – and employes over 220,000 mariners – according to CrewCenter.
According to Cruise Critic all crew members have gone through screening measures which included three COVID-19 tests in various phases as well as a period of isolation before commencing their duties. Each crew member will then be regularly tested and their health monitored.
Following the embarkation of the new guests today in Civitavecchia, more guests will also embark in the ports of Naples and Palermo and then the ship will call at Valetta in Malta, before returning to Genoa on Sunday. MSC Cruises says it will launch another cruise from the Italian port of Bari on 29 August, but has otherwise suspended its Mediterranean cruises until mid-October.
MSC joins TUI Cruises as the first big ship lines to resume cruising, as well as Dream Cruises in Taiwan.
Royal Caribbean Group ordered two Discovery class ships from Chantiers de l'Atlantique with options for four more, while committing to 10 additional Celebrity river cruise vessels. The moves follow strong Q4 results with $4.3 billion in revenues.
MSC Cruises and Chantiers de l’Atlantique announced orders for two additional World Class cruise ships on Wednesday during a ceremony in Saint Nazaire, France that also celebrated major construction milestones...
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings forecast fourth-quarter profit below expectations on Tuesday, on cost uncertainties and subdued consumer appetite for sea-based vacations as travelers curb spending, sending its shares down 11%.
November 4, 2025
Total Views: 709
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,375 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,375 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.