Updated: November 17, 2020 (Originally published April 10, 2020)
Cruise ships docked in Miami, Florida, April 3, 2020. Photo: Zach Parker/ZeeMac Services, LLC
April 10 (Reuters) – The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention extended its “no sail order” for all cruise ships, as it looks to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
The CDC new order says that cruise ships have to cease operations for up to 100 days, or the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency, or if the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order.
The order, dated April 9, comes as the cruise industry takes a hit from the novel coronavirus outbreak, with trips across the globe either canceled or suspended and refunds issued to customers.
Many cruise ship lines have already voluntarily suspended most of their operations.
Four of the cruise lines belonging to the world’s largest cruise operator Carnival Corp’s said last month they would extend the suspension of all voyages by a month to May while rival Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd said it would return to service by May 12.
Currently, there are about 100 cruise ships remaining at sea off the East Coast, West Coast, and Gulf Coast, with nearly 80,000 crew onboard, the CDC noted, and said there are 20 cruise ships at port or anchorage in the United States with known or suspected COVID-19 infection among the crew who remain onboard.
The earlier “no sail order” was issued on March 14.
(Reporting by Shanti S Nair in Bengaluru Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
Royal Caribbean Group ordered two Discovery class ships from Chantiers de l'Atlantique with options for four more, while committing to 10 additional Celebrity river cruise vessels. The moves follow strong Q4 results with $4.3 billion in revenues.
MSC Cruises and Chantiers de l’Atlantique announced orders for two additional World Class cruise ships on Wednesday during a ceremony in Saint Nazaire, France that also celebrated major construction milestones...
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings forecast fourth-quarter profit below expectations on Tuesday, on cost uncertainties and subdued consumer appetite for sea-based vacations as travelers curb spending, sending its shares down 11%.
November 4, 2025
Total Views: 712
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,252 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,252 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.