NOAA Research Vessel Completes Around-the-World Science Mission After 243 Days at Sea

(NOAA) - NOAA’s largest oceanographic research vessel, NOAA Ship Ronald H. Brown, steamed into its Charleston, South Carolina, home port yesterday, after a 243-day voyage around the world to conduct scientific research and service buoys that inform global weather, climate and ocean forecasting. The ship sailed nearly 44,289 miles, made port calls in South Africa, the … [Read more...]

Scientists Discover Stern of World War II U.S. Destroyer Off Remote Alaskan Island

For almost 75 years, the stern of the destroyer USS Abner Read lay somewhere below the dark of the Bering Sea off the Aleutian island of Kiska, where it sank after being torn off by an explosion while conducting an anti-submarine patrol. Seventy-one U.S. Navy Sailors were lost in the aftermath of the blast, during a brutal and largely overlooked early campaign of World War … [Read more...]

NOAA Predicts Near- to Above-Normal Atlantic Hurricane Season in 2018

The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting a 75-percent chance of a near- of above-normal 2018 Atlantic hurricane season, the agency said Thursday. Forecasters at NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predict a 35 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, and a 25 percent chance of a below-normal … [Read more...]

NOAA Helps Big Ships Navigate PortMiami More Safely

Port officials in Miami along with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) have dedicated a new real-time current mapping system that will help super-sized ships coming through the Expanded Panama Canal navigate the port of Miami more safely. NOAA and PortMiami have partnered to install the Physical Oceanographic Real-Time System (PORTS®), consisting of … [Read more...]