Join our crew and become one of the 107,105 members that receive our newsletter.

SOUTHCHINASEA-PHILIPPINES. REUTERS/Erik De Castro

A Philippine flag flutters from BRP Sierra Madre, a dilapidated Philippine Navy ship that has been aground since 1999 and became a Philippine military detachment on the disputed Second Thomas Shoal, part of the Spratly Islands, in the South China Sea March 29, 2014. REUTERS/Erik De Castro

Philippines Says Sailor Sustained Serious Injury in South China Sea Collision

Reuters
Total Views: 968
June 18, 2024
Reuters

MANILA, June 18 (Reuters) – A Philippine navy sailor suffered “serious injury” after what the country’s military called on Tuesday “intentional-high speed ramming” by the Chinese coast guard during a resupply mission in the South China Sea.

The Philippine military said in a statement the Chinese coast guard’s “continued aggressive behavior and unprofessional conduct towards a legitimate humanitarian mission is unacceptable.”

China and the Philippines have accused each other of being at fault for Monday’s collision near a disputed atoll in the South China Sea.

Philippine officials said China disrupted a military mission to resupply sailors stationed in Second Thomas Shoal in a rusting navy ship BRP Sierra Madre that Manila deliberately beached in 1999 to bolster its maritime claim.

China’s coast guard disputed this and said the navy vessel deliberately and dangerously approached a Chinese ship in an unprofessional manner, forcing it to take control measures such as “warnings and blockades, boarding inspections, and forced evictions.”

The Philippines said China’s account was “deceptive and misleading.”

The Philippine military said on Tuesday the injured sailor had been successfully evacuated and was being treated. It did not specify the nature of the injury.

Second Thomas Shoal has been a flashpoint in recent months between the countries. The atoll lies within Manila’s 200-nautical mile maritime zone, which China also claims as its own.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, including parts claimed by the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei.

A 2016 arbitral ruling rejected China’s historical claims to the resource-rich waterway, a decision Beijing has rejected.

The U.S. State Department called the incident the latest in a series of Chinese “provocations” to impede supplies from reaching Philippines personnel stationed at the BRP Sierra Madre.

Canada and United Kingdom also condemned China’s actions, while France and Japan have expressed concern over the incident.

(Reporting by Mikhail Flores and Karen Lema;Editing by Ed Davies)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2024.

Unlock Exclusive Insights Today!

Join the gCaptain Club for curated content, insider opinions, and vibrant community discussions.

Sign Up
Back to Main
polygon icon polygon icon

Why Join the gCaptain Club?

Access exclusive insights, engage in vibrant discussions, and gain perspectives from our CEO.

Sign Up
close

JOIN OUR CREW

Maritime and offshore news trusted by our 107,105 members delivered daily straight to your inbox.

Join Our Crew

Join the 107,105 members that receive our newsletter.