Tug boats assist in the return of the Royal Canadian Navy auxiliary oil replenishment ship HMCS Protecteur (AOR 509)to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. U.S. Navy Photo
The HMCS Protecteur has arrived safely in Pearly Harbor following recovery efforts led by the U.S. Navy after a major fire aboard the Canadian ship last week.
The HMCS Protecteur and her crew were towed into Pearl Harbor on Thursday, March 6 by the Military Sealift Command fleet ocean tug USNS Sioux (T-ATF 171).
USS Michael Murphy was first to arrive on scene early on February 28 just hours after the fire occurred in the main engine room of the Protecteur, causing the vessel to lose power about 340 nautical miles northeast of Oahu.
Shortly after, the guided-missile cruiser USS Chosin arrived on scene and commenced towing operations while transporting food and water to Protecteur via embarked helicopter.
USNS Sioux took over towing operations March 2 following “tow complications” and towed the ship for the remaining four days into port. Michael Murphy returned to port March 4 with 19 family members and civilian contractors from the Protecteur, as well as a Canadian Sailor with a hand injury.
Protecteur was serving as an oil replenishment ship in the Pacific, assisting other ships operating within the area for the month of February when the fire occurred during the ship’s transit back to Esquimalt, British Columbia.
“The incredible courage of the crew of Protecteur and the resiliency of their families during this tumultuous time is truly inspiring,” said Rear Adm. Bill Truelove, commander Maritime Forces Pacific, Royal Canadian Navy (RCN). “The RCN is appreciative of the tremendous support that has been provided by the U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard and all those involved in helping get Protecteur and her crew safely back to Pearl Harbor.”
The ship will remain in Hawaii for an undetermined amount of time while the RCN conducts an initial damage assessment.
The Protecteur was carrying 279 crew, plus 17 of the crew’s family members and two contractors when the fire broke out, causing minor injuries to 20 crew.
HMCS Protecteur under tow by the Military Sealift Command fleet ocean tug USNS Sioux (T-ATF 171). U.S. Navy PhotoU.S. Navy PhotoU.S. Navy PhotoU.S. Navy PhotoU.S. Navy Photo
By Tony Czuczka Aug 16, 2026 (Bloomberg) –A top US military commander said mental health is a valid concern after meeting crew deployed on the USS Abraham Lincoln, where conditions aboard...
The U.S. Coast Guard coordinated the rescue of 22 crew members from a vehicle carrier after an engine room fire forced the crew to abandon ship roughly 630 miles south...
The Ugly Ducklings of American Power By Bruce Kimbrell (Policy Op-Ed) On July 17, history quietly turned on the waterfront. Admiral Karl Thomas, Commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command,...
July 19, 2026
Total Views: 3234
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 104,394 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 104,394 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.