What happened to all the oil? – Answered

Mike Schuler
Total Views: 2
August 4, 2010

Click HERE for high resolution graph

In more news from the Gulf, a report released by an interagency team of scientists assembled by the National Incident Command has details on what has happened to the oil that has leaked from the blown out Macondo well.   The figures, based on an estimated 4.9 million barrels leaked, states that only 26% of the oil remains in the Gulf.  As for the remaining 74% – 25% has evaporated or dissolved, 16% has naturally dispersed and 33% has been either been recovered, burned, skimmed or chemically dispersed through Unified Command Response Opertions.

These estimates were derived by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Department of the Interior (DOI), who jointly developed whats known as an Oil Budget Calculator, to provide
measurements and best estimates of what happened to the spilled oil.

Our first thoughts were that these numbers are good, but after doing the math – 26% of 4.9 million barrels is still a lot of oil.  What do you think – do these figures surprise you?


Back to Main