Mexican officials are just getting to work on the effort to clean up and scuttle a bulk carrier that wrecked along the country’s rocky Pacific coastline last month during Hurricane Patricia.
According the environmental authority PROFEPA, work has begun to prepare the ship for the removal of all 11,484 liters of oil, 489 cubic meters of diesel and other contaminants. As of this week, a helicopter and barge were on scene to begin the work of removing hazardous materials from the ship – things like paints, solvents and batteries – and to prepare for the arrival of a vessel from Panama that will be used to transfer the oil.
The agency says that no oil spill has been detected since the initial grounding.
The 223-meter, Mexican-flagged bulk carrier has been pinned against rocks in Barra de Navidad in Jalisco since Friday October 23rd when it ran aground after attempting to ride out powerful Hurricane Patricia. Prior to the incident, the ship was at the nearby port of Manzanillo, but it left from port prior to landfall of the powerful Category 5 hurricane – which turned out to be strongest hurricane ever recorded on earth. All 27 crew members were evacuated from the vessel without injuries.
Authorities have decided that the ship is beyond repair and will need to be scuttled in the area.
The entire operation will obviously be dependent on weather, and the fear is that more storms will hit the coast and cause further deterioration of the ship.
A new (grainy) drone video released this week by PROFEPA gave an up close look at damage to the hull of Los Llanitos. Taking into account that damage, as well as the severe hogging and placement against the rocks, let’s hope the weather holds for a while. The video is below:
The insurance issued to dozens of aging oil tankers used by Russia to skirt international sanctions was bogus, according to Norwegian authorities now investigating the small firm behind the forged documents.
Russia’s Arctic liquefied natural gas plant appears to have flared fuel last week, satellite images show, a move that could indicate the restart of a sanctioned export facility that has effectively been shuttered since last October.
The US said Russia and Ukraine have agreed to a ceasefire in the Black Sea and to work out mechanisms for implementing their ban on strikes against energy infrastructure.
March 25, 2025
Total Views: 767
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 109,044 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 109,044 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.