Windoc Incident – Story Behind YouTube’s Most Chilling Video
In August 2001 the Bulk Carrier Windoc was lined up on the Welland Canal’s Bridge 11 in Ontario Canada. After receiving the flashing amber approach light indicating that the bridge...
Updated: February 5, 2014 (Originally published February 3, 2014)

Efforts are underway to confirm the identity (and story) of a mystery castaway who washed up last week on a Marshall Islands atoll after allegedly surviving more than 13 months adrift in the Pacific Ocean on a 24-foot fiberglass boat.
The man, who has identified himself as 37 year old Jose Salvador Alvarenga from El Salvador, says that him and teenage boy set off from the Mexican city of Tapachula on a one day fishing trip on December 21, 2012, but they lost power and were swept out to sea by strong winds and currents.
Alvarenga told the British Telegraph that he survived by drinking turtle blood and catching and eating fish, birds and sharks that he caught by hand. The boy, who refused to eat, died four months into the ordeal, the Telegraph report says.
Alvarenga and his badly beaten boat washed up last Thursday on the small Ebon Atoll in the Marshall Islands, where he was discovered by a person conducting research on the island. He was later brought to Marshall Islands capital of Majur and was admitted to a hospital in relatively good condition.
The man claims to originally be from El Salvador, but he says he had been living in Mexico for 15 years. Efforts to repatriate the man are in the works, according to reports.
In the video below, Alvarenga tells the Telegraph about when he first reached the island:
Sign up for gCaptain’s newsletter and never miss an update
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.
Sign Up