An 80-meter bulk carrier aground off Oskarshamn, Sweden. Photo: Swedish Coast Guard
Swedish authorities have arrested the captain and superintendent of an 80-meter bulk carrier which ran aground Saturday morning off Oskarshamn, Sweden.
The Swedish Coast Guard reported that police took the captain and superintendent on suspicion of serious gross negligence after a preliminary investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident. The Coast Guard has identified the vessel only as an 80-meter bulk carrier belonging to a Danish shipping company and registered and flagged in the Faroe Islands. The crew consists of Russian and Filipino citizens, the Coast Guard said.
The Coast Guard has identified the vessel only as an 80-meter bulk carrier belonging to a Danish shipping company and registered and flagged in the Faroe Islands. The crew consists of Russian and Filipino citizens, the Coast Guard said.
Photo: Swedish Coast Guard
The hull of the vessel has sustained damage and is in contact with the seabed in three places. Salvors on Monday began working to remove 24,000 liters of diesel fuel from a tank that is at risk of being compromised. However, as of
Salvors on Monday began working to remove 24,000 liters of diesel fuel from a tank that is at risk of being compromised. However, as of Monday, the Coast Guard had not reported any pollution coming from the vessel so far.
The vessel is carrying a total of 44,000 liters of diesel oil.
The Coast Guard said Monday that the vessel grounded in such shallow water that it has made it difficult for environmental response ships to get too close.
Photo: Swedish Coast GuardPhoto: Swedish Coast GuardPhoto: Swedish Coast Guard
By Susanne Barton Sep 6, 2025 (Bloomberg) –Microsoft Corp. said Saturday it’s no longer detecting issues with its Azure cloud platform after multiple international cables in the Red Sea were cut. ...
COSCO Shipping Ports is facing "challenges" with its international investments amid pressures from the U.S. trade war, its managing director said in Hong Kong on Thursday.
China is threatening to block the sale of more than 40 ports, owned by Hong Kong-based CK Hutchison, to BlackRock and Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) if Chinese shipping company Cosco does not get a stake, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday, citing unnamed sources.
July 17, 2025
Total Views: 1392
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,023 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,023 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.