Updated: November 18, 2020 (Originally published August 4, 2017)
Tanjung Priok Terminal in Jakarta, Indonesia. FILE PHOTO: Creativa Images / Shutterstock.com
JAKARTA, Aug 4 (Reuters) – More than 600 workers at Jakarta’s Tanjung Priok port have gone on strike and could extend the action until Aug. 10, their union said on Friday, disrupting operations at the biggest terminal of Indonesia’s busiest port.
The labour union of PT Jakarta International Container Terminal (JICT) launched the strike on Thursday demanding bonus payments promised to workers by the company, Nova Sofyan Hakim, chairman of the union told Reuters.
JICT operates the largest container terminal at Tanjung Priok, handling 70 percent of the port’s exports and imports.
Twenty ships JICT was scheduled to handle have been redirected for loading and unloading at other terminals due to the strike, the transport ministry said in a statement, adding that the port’s activities remained normal.
“We have anticipated this by using the space in other terminals to avoid stagnation. Yesterday was a bit crowded, but today’s preparation is better,” the director general of customs, Heru Pambudi, told Reuters.
Local media have reported container trucks lining up on roads to other port entrances because the JICT gate was locked.
JICT Vice President Director Riza Erivan told Metro TV that workers’ demands should be settled through a dialogue.
“This is an industrial relation problem. We want this to be put in a legal context, through a tripartite dialogue that can also be brought up to the Industrial Relations Court,” Erivan said.
The Jakarta government will begin mediating the dispute between the union and JICT management on Friday, manpower official Dwi Untoro said, as quoted by media.
Union chairman Hakim has not yet commented on the mediation process, but he said striking workers received a warning letter from the company on Friday demanding they go back to work.
Indonesia’s exports and imports contracted in June on a yearly basis for the first time in nine months and officials blamed seasonal factors. Cumulatively, in the first half of this year, exports and imports rose 14 percent and 10 percent, respectively, reflecting a recovery in external trade for Southeast Asia’s largest economy.
The workers’ union had planned to strike in May to protest against a cut in their benefits, but called off the action after reaching an agreement with the company.
JICT is controlled by Hong Kong-based Hutchison Ports and state-owned operator Pelindo II. (Reporting by Hidayat Setiaji and Gayatri Suroyo; Editing by Ed Davies and Tom Hogue)
British International Investment and Canada's La Caisse pension fund suspended new investments with DP World after CEO Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem was named in newly released Epstein files showing decade-long correspondence with the convicted sex offender.
SYDNEY, Feb 8 (Reuters) – Tropical Cyclone Mitchell intensified on Sunday, Australia’s weather bureau said, as it tracked towards the country’s remote northwest, home to the world’s biggest iron-ore export hub of Port Hedland. Port...
By Bloomberg News Jan 31, 2026 (Bloomberg) –Operations at Russia’s Murmansk Bulk Terminal and Commercial Seaport resumed late on Saturday after being temporarily suspended earlier in the day, Interfax reported. The...
January 31, 2026
Total Views: 596
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,252 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,252 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.