Photo posted by Ansar Burney Trust allegedly showing the attack on an Iranian cargo off Yemen.
Seven people are believed to have been killed in an apparent rocket attack on a Iranian cargo ship in the Red Sea off Yemen, Pakistani sources are reporting.
The Ansar Burney Trust, a human and civil rights organization in Pakistan, posted pictures of the alleged attack on its Facebook page. The organization said, citing its sources, that the Iranian-flagged cargo ship MV Jouya-8 was hit by a rocket and destroyed off Yemen.
All seven missing are reportedly Pakistani nationals. One person is believed to have survived.
“Ansar Burney Trust International has received information through its sources that an unfortunate ship namely “MV JOUYA-8” has been hit by a rocket in Sea of Yemen and reportedly destroyed… so far one Pakistani has managed to survive some how who has managed to swim towards some island,” Ansar Burney said in a statement posted to its Facebook page.
The Pakistani news agency Geo News said the attack occurred Wednesday night as the ship was underway from Egypt to Dubai.
According to AIS information the MV Jouya-8 was built in 1990 and is 58-meters in length and 699 dwt.
The alleged attack comes after several attacks on both civilian and military ships off Yemen in recent months.
gCaptain has been unable to independently verify the details of this week’s attack.
Sign up for our newsletter