Join our crew and become one of the 106,575 members that receive our newsletter.

Hapag-Lloyd Expands Terminal Portfolio with Spinelli Group Stake

Photo courtesy Hapag-Lloyd

Hapag-Lloyd Expands Terminal Portfolio with Spinelli Group Stake

Mike Schuler
Total Views: 751
January 12, 2023

German liner operator Hapag-Lloyd has completed its acquisition of a minority stake in the Spinelli Group, one of Italy’s leading terminal and transport operators, following approval from antitrust regulators.

The deal was first announced in September 2022. With the closing, Hapag-Lloyd now owns 49 percent of the shares of the Genoa-based business. The remaining 51 percent of the shares remain in the hands of the Spinelli family.

The financials of the transaction are not being disclosed.

Spinelli Group has been operating in Italy since 1963, offering services throughout the entire logistics chain of containers to the shipping lines including port terminal services, multimodal transport solutions, container depots and repairs, warehouses, and customs agent activities.

As part of its Strategy 2023, Hapag-Lloyd has expanded its involvement in the terminal sector, most recently through an agreement to acquire a stake in the terminal business of Chile-based SM SAAM. Hapag-Lloyd also has stakes in JadeWeserPort in Wilhelmshaven, the Container Terminal Altenwerder in Hamburg, Terminal TC3 in Tangier, and Terminal 2 in Damietta, Egypt, which is currently under construction.

Hapag-Lloyd has also been using its pandemic profits to expand its service offerings, having recently completed its acquisition of the container liner business of German carrier Deutsche Afrika-Linien (DAL), further expanding its presence in the South African market. In 2021, Hapag-Lloyd acquired Africa-specialised carrier NileDutch, significantly strengthening its presence and service offering to and from West Africa. The company is also ordering new ships, upgrading its existing fleet with more fuel efficient technology, and equipping its entire fleet of dry containers with real-time tracking devices, making it the first major ocean carrier to do so.

Unlock Exclusive Insights Today!

Join the gCaptain Club for curated content, insider opinions, and vibrant community discussions.

Sign Up
Back to Main
polygon icon polygon icon

Why Join the gCaptain Club?

Access exclusive insights, engage in vibrant discussions, and gain perspectives from our CEO.

Sign Up
close

JOIN OUR CREW

Maritime and offshore news trusted by our 106,575 members delivered daily straight to your inbox.

gCaptain’s full coverage of the maritime shipping industry, including containerships, tankers, dry bulk, LNG, breakbulk and more.