Los Llanitos aground in Barra de Navidad, Jalisco, Mexico. Photo: PROFEPA
The future is not looking very good for a bulk carrier that remains pinned against a rocky shoreline along the Pacific coast of Mexico five days after it ran aground during record-breaking Hurricane Patricia.
The vessel, which still contains some 11,484 liters of oil and 489 cubic meters of diesel, is now showing obvious signs of catastrophic structural damage without so much as a single boom placed the vessel.
Mexico’s environmental agency PROFEPA says it has been monitoring the wreck of the Mexican-flagged Los Llanitos since it ran aground Friday, but the responsible party has been unresponsive to requests to even place containment barriers around the wreck.
The Mexican Navy is also involved in the response, but at this point it seems that no actual work has been done beyond monitoring the ship.
Photo: PROFEPA
The ship ran aground in Barra de Navidad, Jalisco, on Friday, October 23rd as Category 5 Hurricane Patricia, the strongest hurricane ever recorded, slammed area with 165 mph winds. According to local media reports, the vessel attempted to ride out the storm at sea, but was forced aground in strong winds.
The location of the Los Llanitos grounding is just north of the Manzanillo, home to the busiest port on Mexico’s Pacific coast. AIS data shows the vessel’s position was recorded late on October 22nd when the ship was still in port.
All 27 crew members have now been evacuated, including the 8 crew members who initially stayed onboard to assist in any salvage. No injuries have been reported.
PROFEPA said previously a small amount of oil has been released from the vessel and that most of the remaining oil is located in an area of the ship that has not been damaged, but it added that more serious damage to the ship is almost inevitable.
Media has described the Mexican government’s handling of Hurricane Patricia as a rare bit of good news – the storm did surprisingly little damage – but it would appear that their response to this looming environmental disaster is failing, particularly if all they are doing is awaiting a call back from the ship’s owner.
What we do know is that something needs to be done quickly because each passing storm has the potential to break this ship up further, risking the release of even more oil. And with this winter’s strong El Niño, the Pacific will continue to be particularly active.
A fuel barge ran aground near the entrance to San Juan Harbor on Monday while being towed inbound from St. Thomas, prompting a Coast Guard response near Old San Juan’s historic El Morro fortress. Officials say there were no injuries, no pollution reported, and the port remains open to vessel traffic.
Nearly a year after running aground on Newfoundland’s west coast, the container ship MSC Baltic III continues to deteriorate under relentless North Atlantic winter conditions, with recent inspections confirming accelerating hull damage...
The Russian “shadow fleet” oil tanker Qendil ran aground off Turkey’s Bozcaada island on Sunday while transiting from Alia?a to Yalova, prompting Turkish authorities to dispatch emergency tugboats to the...
January 4, 2026
Total Views: 7721
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,230 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,230 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.