French skipper Francois Gabart celebrates as he sails the trimaran Macif into Brest harbour following his successful solo, non-stop around the world record of 42 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 35 seconds, in Brest, France December 17, 2017. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe
PARIS, Dec 17 (Reuters) – Frenchman Francois Gabart set a world record for sailing around the world alone on Sunday, completing his journey in 42 days and 16 hours.
The time beat the previous record set last year by his compatriot Thomas Coville by more than six days.
On his trimaran Macif, Gabart crossed the finish line at 0145GMT in Ouessant, off France’s western coast. “It’s crazy, quite surreal, I’m stunned,” said the 34-year-old, who began his journey on Nov. 4. (Reporting by Julien Pretot, editing by Ed Osmond)
French skipper Francois Gabart sails the trimaran Macif into Brest harbor following his successful solo, non-stop aound the world record of 42 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 35 seconds, in Brest, France, December 17, 2017. REUTERS/Stephane MaheFrench skipper Francois Gabart celebrates with safety flares as he sails the trimaran Macif into Brest harbor following his successful solo, non-stop aound the world record of 42 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 35 seconds, in Brest, France, December 17, 2017. REUTERS/Stephane MaheFrench skipper Francois Gabart celebrates after his arrival following his successful solo, non-stop around the world record of 42 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 35 seconds with his trimaran Macif, in Brest, France, December 17, 2017. REUTERS/Stephane MaheFile photos shows an aerial view of the Maxi Tri MACIF with french skipper Francois Gabart during training. Photo Vincent Curutchet / DPPI / MACIF
By Susanne Barton Sep 6, 2025 (Bloomberg) –Microsoft Corp. said Saturday it’s no longer detecting issues with its Azure cloud platform after multiple international cables in the Red Sea were cut. ...
COSCO Shipping Ports is facing "challenges" with its international investments amid pressures from the U.S. trade war, its managing director said in Hong Kong on Thursday.
China is threatening to block the sale of more than 40 ports, owned by Hong Kong-based CK Hutchison, to BlackRock and Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) if Chinese shipping company Cosco does not get a stake, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday, citing unnamed sources.
July 17, 2025
Total Views: 1393
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,024 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,024 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.