March 13 (Reuters) – Energy firm Equinor on Wednesday announced the first Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) approval for an offshore wind project to connect directly into the New York City transmission system.
FERC on March 1 approved the Large Generator Interconnection Agreement (LGIA) executed between the company’s Empire Wind 1 project, New York ISO (NYISO) and Consolidated Edison Co ED.N, Equinor said in a release.
With FERC’s clearance, the 810 megawatts of renewable electricity from Empire Wind 1offshore wind project can be connected to the New York City electrical grid at Con Edison’s Gowanus substation via the Sunset Park Onshore Substation at South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT), the company said.
Artistic rendering of concept for site development of the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal. Credit: Equinor
Empire Wind is set to transform the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal (SBMT) into a major offshore wind industry assembly facility and operations and maintenance base. SBMT, a 73-acre site, will become one of the largest dedicated port facilities for offshore wind in the U.S., supporting the assembly of offshore wind turbine components. It will also host the onshore substation for Empire Wind 1 and provide onshore power and charging for the Empire Wind Service Operations Vessel (SOV), the first plug-in hybrid vessel for the U.S. offshore wind industry.
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management also approved the project’s federal Construction and Operations Plan last month.
Recently, U.S. officials gave Equinor approval to start building a massive offshore wind farm off the coast of New York, a milestone for a project that has faced soaring costs and does not have a power supply contract.
Last month, a Clean Air Act permit was granted to New York’s Empire Offshore Wind LLC owned by Equinor.
(Reporting by Anjana Anil and Daksh Grover in Bengaluru; Editing by Leslie Adler)
Equinor expects 10-20% production decline at Johan Sverdrup, Europe's largest oil field growth source. The decline signals broader challenges for global oil supply amid aging fields.
By Mark Chediak Jan 18, 2026 (Bloomberg) –President Donald Trump’s campaign against offshore wind power in the US sustained major setbacks last week when three different judges blocked enforcement of a government ban...
The U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has granted Empire Offshore Wind LLC a preliminary injunction allowing construction to resume on the Empire Wind offshore wind project, ending...
January 15, 2026
Total Views: 2162
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,230 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,230 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.