The international container shipping faces a critical couple of weeks as ongoing attacks and reroutings in the Red Sea continue to impact the sector ahead of the Chinese New Year period.
According to Philip Damas, head of Drewry Supply Chain Advisors, the next 4-5 weeks will be crucial for global shipping and container traffic particularly between Asia and Europe as well as the Mediterranean.
Drewry estimates that more than 800 ships representing about 10 million twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs), or approximately one-third of the world’s container ship capacity, is affected by the Red Sea attacks and reroutings around the Cape of Good Hope.
Chart courtesy Drewry
While there are concerns about how this disruption will impact the pre-Chinese New Year “rush”, Drewry believes that there is enough capacity available in the market to absorb much of the impact—at least for now.
Philip Damas stated, “Any disruption before Chinese New Year is always a concern for shippers. Although the current situation is already causing bottlenecks in global supply chains, we believe that there is sufficient capacity to handle the resulting congestion, equipment shortages, and schedule gaps.”
However, Damas said Asia to Europe capacity is currently “very limited” and there is even less capacity to the Red Sea from Asia, Europe, or the U.S. “The is something of panic in China right now about the availability of capacity,” he said.
“It should be noted, however, that container equipment is likely to remain displaced for several weeks, which will affect service schedules and create inflationary headwinds. There is limited flexibility to mitigate any escalation in the regional security situation,” added Damas.
Over the weekend, Ryan Peterson, founder and CEO at Flexport, said about 95% of the containerships that normally transit the Red Sea and Suez Canal are rerouting around the tip of South Africa.
You can watch Drewry’s Red Sea crisis impact assessment here.
Global container spot rates posted their sharpest weekly gain in months as carriers pushed through emergency surcharges and capacity cuts amid rising geopolitical disruption and signs of an early start...
Container spot rates rebounded this week after three consecutive weekly declines, as ocean carriers pushed through a new wave of emergency fuel and peak season surcharges tied to rising operational...
Piracy concerns are escalating rapidly off the Horn of Africa after two vessels were hijacked last week and multiple new approaches were reported across the western Indian Ocean, prompting security...
May 1, 2026
Total Views: 705
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 105,985 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 105,985 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.