The men, who became known as the “Chennai Six”, were among 35 men detained in October 2013 while working as security guards on ships to combat piracy in the Indian Ocean.
A Facebook post said all 35 had been cleared and their families were “understandably delighted”.
The post said: “The appeal court has today found all 35 men NOT GUILTY we now wait to hear as and when the men will be allowed home to their families.
“This may take some time whilst the authorities decide whether they agree with the outcome or wish to appeal. If they wish to appeal the men might be released from prison but not allowed back to the UK.
“But the families are understandable delighted that finally common sense and justice has prevailed.”
The six men are: Billy Irving, 37, from Argyll and Bute; Nick Dunn, 31, of Northumberland; John Armstrong, 30, of Wigton, Cumbria; Nicholas Simpson, 47, of Catterick, North Yorkshire; Ray Tindall, 42, of Chester; and Paul Towers, 54, of Pocklington, east Yorkshire.
Yvonne McHugh, the partner of Billy Irving, said she was “over the moon” the men had been cleared.
“They’ve all been acquitted, all 35 of them,” she said. “We are just waiting to hear how soon they’ll be home. That’s the biggest hurdle we faced and all of them have been acquitted.”
Although the men had been cleared, McHugh said, she had been unable to speak to Irvine as he was not yet out of prison and did not have a phone.
She said: “We just want them home as soon as possible. I’m absolutely ecstatic and feel proud we’ve managed to do this after four years.”
The captain of an oil tanker and two officers accused of severing five undersea power and telecoms cables in the Baltic Sea last December, blamed technical faults for the damage as their trial began in Helsinki on Monday.
Unless Iran reins in its proxy force, the US and its allies may have to turn to the playbook that defeated piracy off East Africa a decade ago. By James Stavridis (Bloomberg...
UPDATED – Original article said two ships were seized by Dan Williams (Reuters) – Israel said on Sunday that Yemen’s Houthis had seized a British-owned and Japanese-operated a (Roll-On Roll-Off) cargo ship (Galaxy Leader)...
November 19, 2023
Total Views: 8369
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 108,378 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 108,378 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.
This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.