Tianjin Blasts Barely a Blip for Marine Insurance Prices
LONDON/FRANKFURT, Jan 7 (Reuters) – Reinsurance rates in the marine sector continued to fall at the start of the year, in spite of the huge cost of explosions at China’s...
Smoke is seen near the site of last week’s explosions at Binhai new district in Tianjin, China, August 17, 2015. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon
LONDON, Sept 15 (Reuters) – Explosions in the Chinese port of Tianjin last month would lead to cargo losses of at least $1.5 billion, and were having a “significant impact” on the marine insurance sector, a trade body said on Tuesday.
“We are expecting to see cargo losses of at least $1.5 billion, with some reports stating that the final figure could be as high as $6 billion,” Nick Derrick, chairman of the International Union of Marine Insurance’s cargo committee, said in a statement.
The incident should provide a “substantial wake-up call to all cargo insurers”, he added.
Reinsurance broker Guy Carpenter, a unit of Marsh & McLennan , said earlier this month that insurance losses for buildings, cargo, containers and property as a result of the explosions could total up to $3.3 billion.
Credit Suisse had estimated losses of between $1 billion and $1.5 billion days after the blast in August.
(Reporting by Carolyn Cohn)
(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015.
This article contains reporting from Reuters, published under license.
Sign up for gCaptain’s newsletter and never miss an update
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.
Sign Up