The International Maritime Organization (IMO) says it has received six nominations for candidates for the position of Secretary-General of IMO.
The election for the post will be held at the 114th session of the 40-member strong IMO Council, which meets June 29 to July 3, 2015. The Council’s decision will ultimately head to the IMO Assembly for final decision during its 29th session from November 23 to December 2, 2015.
The six nominations for the position were received by the March 31 deadline and submitted by each of the candidates’ governments. They are as follows:
- Andreas Chrysostomou – Republic of Cyprus
- Vitaly Klyuev – Russian Federation
- Ki-tack Lim – Republic of Korea
- Maximo Q. Mejia?, Jr. – Republic of the Philippines
- Andreas Nordseth – Kingdom of Denmark
- Juvenal Shiundu – Republic of Kenya
The present incumbent, Koji Sekimizu, ends his four-year term as Secretary-General on December 31, 2015.