Fire-Damaged Car Carrier Morning Midas Shows No Signs of Active Fire
The car carrier Morning Midas, which experienced a fire in its electric vehicle cargo deck on June 3, shows no signs of active fire according to salvage teams that recently...
By Felix Njini (Bloomberg) Transnet SOC, South Africa’s state-owned ports and freight-rail company, is investigating the cause of fires that disrupted bulk shipments from the eastern Durban and Richards Bay ports, where it declared force majeure on Friday.
“The fires were contained and extinguished,” Transnet said in an e-mailed statement. “Business continuity plans have been invoked and Transnet continues to work with all impacted stakeholders to minimize disruptions and ensure that repairs are concluded as quickly as possible.”
The ports operator has made progress restoring operations at Richards Bay, with five of seven conveyor belts back in use and the rest of the work being handled manually.
Read More: Maersk Shuts Down Durban Depots As Looting Continues
A conveyor belt operated by South32 Ltd. was returned to service on Saturday and the loading of chrome and magnetite onto vessels is underway, Transnet spokeswoman Ayanda Shezi said via text message. Coking coal is being loaded manually, while a vessel shipping sulfur has been fully laden, she added.
“Wood chip exports are currently impacted as that conveyor is still being repaired and is expected to be up tomorrow,” Shezi said. “Fire marshals are placed at changeover points to monitor any risk of fire.”
The Richards Bay coal terminal, the continent’ largest, is essential to South Africa’s coal industry supply-chain, with 70.2 million tons of the fuel shipped from its berths last year. Port constraints and derailments on lines operated by Transnet hampered coal exports in the first half of this year, according to Exxaro Resources Ltd.
Read More: Transnet Identifies Source of IT ‘Disruption’ at South African Container Ports
A fire affected at least two conveyor belts at Durban’s grain export terminal at Maydon Wharf precinct. The ports operator met with agricultural industry officials to assure them that the terminal is working around the clock to restore operations, Transnet said.
By Felix Njini © 2021 Bloomberg L.P.
Sign up for gCaptain’s newsletter and never miss an update
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.
Sign Up