Earlier on Monday, the coastguard reported that Smit Salvage and Transocean were finalizing plans for the refloat attempt. The coastguard said that Smit had agreed with Hugh Shaw, Secretary of State’s Representative for Maritime Salvage and Intervention, on the towage plan from Dalmore Bay to Broad Bay, located on the east coast of Lewis.
There is a 1000 meter exclusion zone around the Transocean Winner for the duration of the passage to Broad Bay.
An aircraft has been sent to monitor for any potential pollution. A survey on Sunday picked up a sheen which turned out to be 200ml and was quickly broken up using boats by Briggs Environmental.
The coastguard said it would provide another update Tuesday morning.
“We have commenced the final phase of this part of the operation,” commented Shaw in a statement released Monday before the refloat attempt. “The two tugs who will be towing are already connected and standing by off Dalmore Beach. The refloat is scheduled to take place later tonight.”
The Transocean Winner ran aground August 8 after breaking free from a tow in heavy weather. The 30-year-old semi-submersible was en route from Norway to Malta and later Turkey where it was supposed to be scrapped. The drilling rig was carrying some 280 metric tons of diesel when the incident occurred. Officials have not yet confirmed exactly how much fuel has spilled from two breached diesel tanks.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.