Updated: December 8, 2023 (Originally published April 15, 2017)
Rescuers from Malta-based NGO Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS) distribute life jackets to migrants on a rubber dinghy in central Mediterranean on international waters off Zuwarah, Libya, April 14, 2017. REUTERS/Darrin Zammit Lupi
More than 2,000 migrants trying to reach Europe were plucked from the Mediterranean on Friday in a series of dramatic rescues and one person was found dead, officials and witnesses said.
By Philip Pullella (Reuters) An Italian coast guard spokesman said 19 rescue operations by the coast guard or ships operated by non-governmental organizations had saved a total of 2,074 migrants on 16 rubber dinghies and three small wooden boats.
The medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said in a tweet that one teenager was found dead in a rubber boat whose passengers were rescued by its ship Aquarius.
“The sea continues to be a graveyard,” MSF said in a Tweet.
The coast guard spokesman confirmed that one person had died but gave no details.
MSF said two of their ships, Aquarius and Prudence, had rescued about 1,000 people in nine boats.
Desperate refugees struggled to stay afloat after they slid off their rubber boat during a rescue operation by the Phoenix, a ship of the rescue group Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS).
Video footage showed rescuers jumping into the water off the coast of Libya to help them.
“In 19 years of covering the Mediterranean migration crisis, I have never experienced anything like today,” said Reuters photographer Darrin Zammit Lupi, who was aboard the Phoenix.
In one operation, the Phoenix rescued 134 people, all from sub-Saharan counties, he said.
Those rescued by the MOAS and MSF ships were transferred to Italian coast guard ships, which had rescued other migrants, to be taken to Italian ports.
According to the International Organisation for Migration, nearly 32,000 migrants have arrived in Europe by sea so far this year. More than 650 have died or are missing.
(Reporting By Philip Pullella; Editing by Gareth Jones) (Reuters)
Fifteen migrants died when their overloaded boat collided with a Greek Coast Guard vessel off Chios Tuesday evening. The boat was carrying at least 39 passengers with navigation lights off when it crashed into the patrol vessel, causing it to capsize and sink.
Updated: January 31, 2026 (Originally published November 9, 2025) KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 9 (Reuters) – A boat carrying members of the Rohingya community from Myanmar has sunk near the Thai-Malaysian border, with hundreds...
Updated: April 18, 2022 (Originally published August 31, 2021) (Reuters)–Spanish NGO Proactiva Open Arms located a wooden boat on Tuesday (August 31) in the Mediterranean Sea carrying 23 migrants, including...
August 31, 2021
Total Views: 1059
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,230 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,230 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.