Freedom Ship is a concept for a floating city proposed by Norman Nixon of Freedom Ship International.
Current naval engineering techniques are inadequate for the construction of such a large vessel. At present supertankers cannot be made larger because of the enormous stresses imposed on hulls by hogging and sagging in heavy seas, leading to catastrophic failures. Freedom Ship International has said on the Discovery Channel‘s Engineering the Impossible that they plan to use a barge building technique, which would reduce the stress of the enormous weight. Also, this would reduce the cost of custom made parts for the ship, which would allow living costs to be more reasonable. The program has also said that the propellers would be a series of 400 fully-rotational azipods; despite the high number of screws, the ship would still be the slowest in the world.
Net price estimates for the ship have risen from 6 billion US$ in 1999 to 11 billion US$ in 2002.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Freedom Ship has little in common with a conventional ship; it is actually nothing more than a big barge.
The bolt-up construction and the unusually large amount of steel incorporated into the ship meets the design engineer’s requirements for stability and structural integrity and the cost engineers requirements of “economic feasibility” but the downside is a severe reduction in top speed, making the ship useless for any existing requirements. For example, it would be too slow to be a cruise ship or a cargo ship.
But what if this big, overweight, barge was assigned a voyage that required slowly cruising around the world, hugging the shoreline, and completing one revolution every 3 years? If the designers then incorporated the following amenities into this barge, what would be the results?
- 18,000 living units, with prices in the range of $180,000 to $2.5 million, including a small number of premium suites currently priced up to $44 million.
- 3,000 commercial units in a similar price range
- 2,400 time-share units
- 10,000 hotel units
- A World Class Casino
- A ferryboat transportation system that provides departures every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day, to 3 or more local cities giving ship residents access to the local neighborhood and up to 30,000 land-based residents a chance to spend a day on the ship.
- A World-Class Medical Facility practicing Western and Eastern medicine as well as preventive and anti-aging medicine.
- A School System that gives the students a chance to take a field trip into a different Country each week for academic purposes or to compete with local schools in numerous sporting events. For example; The Freedom Ship High School Soccer team plays a Paris High School team this week at home and an Italian team next week in Italy, while the Freedom Ship High School Band presents a New Orleans Jazz musical at a concert hall in London.
- An International Trade Center that gives on-board companies and shops the opportunity to show and sell their products in a different Country each week.
- More than 100 acres of outdoor Park, Recreation, Exercise and Community space for the enjoyment of residents and visitors.
Many of you already know what we have created. Those of you who “do not get it” may feel free to move on to the next web site.
For those of you who are still with us, I am sure we do not need to explain to you what this lifestyle will be like – you already know! Therefore, we invite you to join with us in the creation of this new lifestyle.
We are expanding our web site and will pass on more information as soon as we are permitted to do so.
Sign up for our newsletter