Photo courtesy MarineTraffic.com/Rich English

COSCO Denies Link to Transpacific Cargo Loss Accident

Mike Schuler
Total Views: 4887
December 7, 2021

COSCO Shipping Lines says it is not the operator of the MV COSCO Nagoya which lost dozens of containers overboard in the Pacific Ocean last month. The ship is now back underway presumably after cargo ops were completed.

The 4,500 TEU containership was sailing from Busan, South Korea to Long Beach, California when the accident took place on November 24th, forcing the ship to turn back to Korea.

According to marine claims consultancy WK Webster, which first reported on the accident, total of 59 containers were impacted in the incident, including 27 collapsed containers and 32 that went overboard.

AIS now shows the ship has now departed Gwangyang and is underway to Long Beach with an arrival date of December 20th.

“COSCO SHIPPING Lines notices recent media reports regarding the massive container collapse happening to COSCO NAGOYA.The company hereby affirms that COSCO NAGOYA had come off charter and has not been operated by COSCO Shipping Lines since Apr. 2020,” COSCO Shipping Lines said in a statement.

The ship, which is registered Panama, is instead believed to be operated by Singapore-based Sea-Lead.

Back to Main