The U.S. Coast Guard has recovered additional parts of the Titan submersible from the North Atlantic Ocean as part of its investigation into the accident. Some of the evidence collected includes what is presumed to be additional human remains.
The salvage mission, which was conducted under an existing agreement with U.S. Navy Supervisor of Salvage & Diving, was a follow-up to initial recovery operations following the loss of the Titan submersible earlier this year.
Investigators from the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and the Transportation Safety Board of Canada joined the salvage mission as part of their respective safety investigations.
The recovered evidence, which includes the Titan’s titanium end cap, was successfully transferred to a U.S. port for cataloging and analysis.
The Coast Guard said the additional presumed human remains were carefully recovered from within Titan’s debris and transported for analysis.
The Titan submersible, operated by OceanGate Expeditions to explore the wreckage of the sunken SS Titanic off the coast of Newfoundland, dives in an undated photograph.
OceanGate Expeditions/Handout via REUTERS
The Coast Guard’s Marine Board of Investigation (MBI) is coordinating with NTSB and other international investigative agencies to schedule a joint evidence review of recovered Titan debris. The review will help determine the next steps for necessary forensic testing.
OceanGate Expedition’s Titan submersible suffered a catastrophic implosion approximately 1 hours and 45 minutes into a dive of the famous Titanic wreck back in June. Following an extensive multi-national search and rescue effort led by the U.S. Coast Guard, the wreckage of the submersible was located on the seafloor near the Titanic about 96 hours after it first submerged.
All five people on board, including OceanGate Expedition’s founder and CEO, are presumed dead.
The MBI will continue evidence analysis and witness interviews ahead of a public hearing regarding the tragedy.
A fuel barge ran aground near the entrance to San Juan Harbor on Monday while being towed inbound from St. Thomas, prompting a Coast Guard response near Old San Juan’s historic El Morro fortress. Officials say there were no injuries, no pollution reported, and the port remains open to vessel traffic.
The U.S. Coast Guard has introduced a redesigned online credentialing system as the maritime industry continues adapting to the permanent closure of its long-standing HOMEPORT platform, which was taken offline...
The captain of a Venezuela-linked crude oil tanker seized by the U.S. this month has been taken from British territorial waters and is now aboard a U.S. Coast Guard vessel, a lawyer for the captain's wife said on Tuesday.
January 28, 2026
Total Views: 1051
Get The Industry’s Go-To News
Subscribe to gCaptain Daily and stay informed with the latest global maritime and offshore news
— just like 107,252 professionals
Secure Your Spot
on the gCaptain Crew
Stay informed with the latest maritime and offshore news, delivered daily straight to your inbox
— trusted by our 107,252 members
Your Gateway to the Maritime World!
Essential news coupled with the finest maritime content sourced from across the globe.