Join our crew and become one of the 105,931 members that receive our newsletter.

Three Killed and Two Missing as Tug Sinks Off Italy

Guardia Costiera Italiana - Italian Coast Guard. Stock Photo: Shutterstock/Carlo Toffolo

Three Killed and Two Missing as Tug Sinks Off Italy

Reuters
Total Views: 3009
May 19, 2022
Reuters

ROME, May 19 (Reuters) – Three people died and two were still missing after a tugboat sank off the southern Italian coast while pulling a pontoon on a route between Italy and Albania, the coastguard said on Thursday.

The Franco P tugboat sent an alarm signal on Wednesday evening, while sailing some 50 nautical miles (92.6 km) off the city of Bari, an Italian coastguard statement said. 

The coastguard initially said four bodies had been recovered and another had been spotted at sea. 

However, in a statement issued later in the afternoon, it said three bodies were being transported ashore while two were still missing.

“The search continues for two more bodies whose discovery was initially reported by units in the area but did not prove to be true,” it said.

The tug’s captain was saved by a Croatian vessel during rescue operations overnight, which took place in very rough seas, the statement said.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante, editing by Gavin Jones and Tomasz Janowski)

(c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2022.

Unlock Exclusive Insights Today!

Join the gCaptain Club for curated content, insider opinions, and vibrant community discussions.

Sign Up
Back to Main
polygon icon polygon icon

Why Join the gCaptain Club?

Access exclusive insights, engage in vibrant discussions, and gain perspectives from our CEO.

Sign Up
close

JOIN OUR CREW

Maritime and offshore news trusted by our 105,931 members delivered daily straight to your inbox.

gCaptain’s full coverage of the maritime shipping industry, including containerships, tankers, dry bulk, LNG, breakbulk and more.