New Video Allegedly Shows Attack on COSCO Asia Containership in Suez Canal
A new video has surfaced on youtube showing, allegedly, the recent attack on the COSCO Asia containership in the Suez Canal.
As Reuters reports, the video, which carries a logo featuring a black Islamist flag and the name of the “al-Firqan Brigade”, shows two men, dressed in civilian clothes, firing RPGs into the side of the ship, where they explode.
SEE ALSO: COSCO Asia Attacked in Suez Canal
It would seem that the video is authentic, however, Reuters said that it could not verify its authenticity at this time. For what it’s worth, reports in the media have all but proven a group of three men with RPGs, two explosions, minimal impact and, of course, a COSCO containership.
Following Saturday’s attack, head of the Suez Canal Authority Mohab Memish raised eyebrows when he said that “terrorists” staged the unsuccessful attack in an attempt to disrupt the flow of ships through the waterway. Reuters reports that an army source said Thursday that security officials were “sure that the operation was a random operation that is not backed by an organisation”.
As gCaptain reported, the COSCO Asia containership was not badly damaged and the incident had no impact on vessel traffic in the canal. So far Egypt has arrested three men in connection to the attack.
So, is the video real? You be the judge.
Sign up for our newsletter
Be the First
Join the 66,036 members that receive our newsletter.
Have a news tip? Let us know.