original: Service Overseas Guidance; cover of 100 page booklet issued to RAF Officers posted overseas (1942)
“After a general preamble about putting one’s affairs in order and the need to bear the expected hardships of wartime travel with equanimity the booklet is divided country by country with a thumbnail sketch of national characteristics and an anglo-centric view of national history. Most countries attract advice about the necessity of keeping one’s bowels open , not forming romantic attachments with the locals and only drinking after sundown.”
In pictures: Shipbuilding along the Clyde on BBC »
This Week in Maritime History:
Boom & Bust: Upper Clyde Shipbuilder work-in, 1971-72 on Radical Glasgow
The end of the 2nd World War, for understandable reasons, saw British shipyards enjoy a period of boom. The boom however soon turned to decline due to lack of investment. In 1965 the Labour government in an attempt to stop the decline set up the Geddes committee on the future of shipbuilding and how it could become more competitive. In the spring of 1966 the committee reported its findings. It recommended that the government should invest money in consolidating shipbuilding on the Clyde.
So, in February 1968, Fairfields and Stephens on the south bank, Connels and Yarrows on the north bank and John Browns at Clydebank were incorporated into one company and Upper Clyde Shipbuilders came into being. The government had a 48.4% holding in the consortium there was also a £5.5m interest free government loan over the first three years. There was a labour force of 13,000 and an order book of £87m.
(lower right) Jimmy Reid (wearing tie) at the Upper Clyde ship yard with some of the men during the 1972 work-in that saved the yard from being closed
After the publicly-owned Upper Clyde Ship-builders got into debt, the government refused to give it a £6million loan, a decision which would have caused 6,000 to 8,500 lost jobs.
From 1966 to 1968, the Labour government set about reorganizing ship-building on the River Clyde. The government split the existing shipyards into two groups. On the lower Clyde, the Scott Lithgow group brought together the shipyards of Port Glasgow and Greenock. The other shipyards on the upper Clyde became Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (UCS). Weak management and powerful trade unions meant that UCS faced major problems from the start. (source)
‘We are not going to strike…We are taking over the yards because we refuse to accept that faceless men can make these decisions. We are not strikers. We are responsible people and we will conduct ourselves with dignity and discipline’ – Jimmy Reid, chair of the joint coordinating committee for UCS, June 1971. (source)
During the campaign, he insisted on hard work and tight discipline. In a speech to the workers he said that ‘there will be no hooliganism, there will be no vandalism, there will be no bevvying [drinking] because the world is watching us’.
The campaign won celebrity support from John Lennon and Billy Connolly before Heath’s government backed down in February 1972. more on dailymail.co.uk »
It was the first time that Jimmy Reid had ever been sent flowers – a big wagon load of red roses. Mystified, the shop stewards gathered round. The card said ‘Lennon’. The roses, it turned out, were from Beatle John Lennon and there was a cheque. “For five or ten grand, I can’t remember now” said Reid, 30 years on. “But it was a lot of money at the time.” (source)
The Men Who Built the Liners on BBC : Many of the most famous passenger liners in history were built in the British Isles, several in the shipyards along the banks of the Clyde. This series combines personal accounts and archive footage to evoke a vivid picture of the unique culture that grew up in the Clyde shipyards. Despite some of the harshest working conditions in industrial history and dire industrial relations, it was here that the Queen Mary, the Queen Elizabeth and the QE2 were built. Such was the Clyde shipbuilders’ pride in their work, and the strength of public support, that in 1971 they were able to defy a government attempt to close them down and win the right to carry on shipbuilding.
N.G.I; Vintage Luggage sticker
MS Augustus – Launched: December 1926. Scuttled 1944, then raised and scrapped in 1946.
MS Augustus was a combined ocean liner and cruise ship built in 1927 for Navigazione Generale Italiana. The ship was later transferred to the new Italian Line after the merger of Navigazione Generale Italiana.
She was the largest diesel-engine passenger ship of her time, 215 meters long and designed to carry 1,675 passengers. The Augustus could reportedly reach South America from Italy in five days at an average speed of 22 knots.
At the outbreak of World War II the Augustus and her sister ship the Roma were laid up but both ships were subsequently taken over by the Italian Navy. Like her sister, the Augustus was converted into an aircraft carrier and renamed Falco and later Sparviero. In 1944, both ships were taken over by German troops then on September 25 of that year she was scuttled in an attempt to block Allied access to the port of Genoa
View over the canal/port to the church at Gouda, Holland, 1740; Grand Perspectives
Navy destroyer USS Badger (DD-126) photographed leaving Washington Navy Yard 28 May 1934. This Wikes-class destroyer served in USN 1919-1945 and participated in WW2 as convoy escort in he Atlantic and Caribbean. The Wickes class was the oldest class of the so-called “flushdeckers” or “four-stacker” to see service in World War II. photo posted by Juhani Sierla – (more) The Pacific War: The U.S. Navy, page for Wickes class
BALTIC departs, 8/27/14 – Glass negative – Library of Congress
Baltic (II) was the third of White Star’s “Big Four” — Celtic, Cedric and Adriatic were the other three — put in service in the early years of this century so White Star could provide weekly express service between Liverpool and New York. For reasons unknown, Baltic was always the most popular of these four virtually identical ships. MORE »
Launched 21 November 1903, RMS Baltic made her maiden voyage, Liverpool-NY, on 29 June 1904. At 23,876 tons, she was the largest ship in the world at that time and she could accommodate 425 first class, 450 second and 2,000 third, with a crew of 560.
more images: greatships.net
RMS Windsor Castle, the last of the four-stacked ocean liners to be built, was launched by the Prince of Wales on 9 March 1921. Built by John Brown & Co. of Clydebank, she made her maiden voyage, Southampton to Cape Town, in April 1922.
maritimequest.com: March 9, 1921: Windsor Castle just prior to launch at John Brown & Co. Clydebank. (more images)
Celebrated nuclear ship rests in Baltimore: N.S. Savannah is virtual time capsule from early 1960s
“Solo” documentary film, 2008, aka “Solitary Endeavour on the Southern Ocean” – Watch Trailer (IMDb)
oneblackline: In 2007, Andrew McAuley set out on a 1,600 kilometre solo adventure to cross the Tasman Sea by kayak. His journey across infamously treacherous seas was outside of the range of helicopter rescue for all but the first and last 200km. After a month at sea, in which he survived incredible storms, 60 knot winds and 10-12m waves, he was within sight of New Zealand’s South Island. His wife and child were waiting on the shore at Milford Sound when a distress call was received. Soon after his kayak was found, but Andrew McAuley had disappeared.
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS (Birdseye Map, 1899, Walker) on BIG MAP BLOG
Dieselpunks: Blohm & Voss Ha 139 on board the Schwabenland
From the foundation of the company in 1933 until World War II, the most important aircraft built by Blohm und Voss was the Ha 139, two of which – the Nordmeer and Nordwind – were delivered to Deutsche Luft Hansa in 1937. Today, the Saturday Air Mail is proud to present the Transatlantic Diesel Mail Service. (via theticketthatexploded)
see also: Lord K’s Garage #99: Some Rolling Yachts
“Skiff bodies with their high-quality finish rivaling with that of the yachts are closely associated with the name of one of the finest French coachbuilders. As early as 1858, Jean-Baptiste Labourdette started making horse drawn carriages and by 1907 his grandson Jean-Henri had taken the company to the next level. In 1912, Labourdette unveiled his Skiff design which was the first of many significant and aerodynamic cars to come from his workshop in Paris.
“It was in 1912 that I that built my first skiff body, on a Panhard & Levassor chassis” is how Henri recalls this car. With it, he pioneered the synthesis of boat construction and automotive style…”
English Russia: How to Become a Diver – The first and the only school for divers in Russia was created on May 5, 1882 in the city of Kronshtadt following the edict of the Russian Emperor Alexander II. That time it was the only educational institution in the world that prepared divers. The school could be attended by officers and military men of lower ranks. more photos »
The Phantom From 10,000 Leagues: Teenage Tramps, Crazies, Superchicks & Rat Finks
theticketthatexploded: An unusual radioactive rock on the sea bottom mutates the ocean life into a horrible monster. When radioactive bodies begin to drift ashore, a scientist and government agent investigate the phenomenon and it’s connection to a local marine biology professor.
Mumbai: In the second such incident in six weeks, a huge ship on Sunday drifted to and ran aground at Juhu beach here, officials said. The ship is an oil tanker, laden with 10 tonnes of fuel oil and another 10 tonnes of gas oil, an defence official said. The 21-year old ship, MT Pavit, flying a Panama flag, drifted here from Ras Al Madrakah in Oman following engine failure and flooding of its engine room…
Though Allied invaders held all the aces in an earlier crossing of the same waters, these Army nurses spanning the English Channel aboard a Coast Guard-manned infantry landing craft seem to be holding a few cards themselves. Bound for France to administer to American wounded, the nurses relax on deck with a game of bridge. (via coldisthesea)
Pierside in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. If you could look toward shore, down the pier to your left… you would see the bar on wheels which some called the Welcome Wagon. U.S.S. Ruchamkin APD – 89 photo galleries
Oarfish or “King of Herrings” (Regalecus glesne): A 23-foot long Oarfish that washed up at the Naval Training Center, Coronado Island, Calif, September 1996. (via larboardwatch)
“Rare encounters with divers and accidental catches have supplied what little is known of oarfish behaviour and ecology. Apparently solitary animals, oarfish may frequent significant depths up to 1,000 metres (3,300 ft). A photograph on display in bars, restaurants, guesthouses and markets around Laos and Thailand that is captioned, “Queen of NÄgas seized by American Army at Mekhong River, Laos Military Base on June 27, 1973 with the length of 7.80 metres,” is a hoax. The photograph was taken by Dr. Leo Smith of The Field Museum, of an oarfish found in late 1996 by US Navy SEAL trainees on the coast of Coronado, California, USA…”
Royal Navy Revenge Class Battleships (by orangetim) — Photo stated to be taken in North Sea on a Patrol Convoy in 1939. Photo taken from HMS Royal Sovereign with HM Ships Revenge, Resolution & Ramilles line astern. – –Large (1024 x 760)
SS City of Paris / Paris / Philadelphia – (1888) The last major transatlantic liner with a clipper bow, and the last liner built for the famed Inman Line, City of Paris was built by J.& G. Thomson of Glasgow, and was launched in October 1888. Like her sister, City of New York, she originally carried three stacks, triple expansion engines and three masts rigged for sails. She made her maiden voyage on 3 April 1889, from Liverpool to New York, and a month later earned her first two Blue Ribands with record crossings on both legs of a Liverpool-New York roundtrip.
Within a year of her entering service, City of Paris experienced the first of the two notable accidents. In March 1890, while she was about 200 miles off the Irish coast, eastbound for Liverpool, her starboard propeller shaft broke and the engine disintegrated from running at full speed with no load on it. Engine parts broke through both the hull and the bulkhead adjoining the port engine room. The resulting flood knocked the port engine out of service as well. The ship drifted powerless for two days before being taken in tow to Cork Harbor…
Chain Sculpture; The Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site
The Jurassic Coast is a World Heritage Site on the English Channel coast of southern England. The site stretches from Orcombe Point near Exmouth in East Devon to Old Harry Rocks near Swanage in East Dorset, a distance of 153 kilometres (95 mi). Chartered in 2001, the Jurassic coast was the second wholly natural World Heritage Site to be designated in the United Kingdom. Its entire length can be walked on the South West Coast Path.
more : Jurassic Coast on wikipedia
Deep Sea News: Contextualize Your Outrage
By now, you’ve probably seen coverage of the news from July 24 by MSNBC, and documented first-hand by my colleague John Bruno over at SeaMonster , of the capture of a fishing vessel that was found illegally fishing sharks within the protected waters of the GalÃ¡pagos Marine Reserve. The Galapagos National Park put out a press release regarding the incident as well.
As John briefly summarizes in words (using pictures to convey the real punch), he and his research team were assisted by the Ecuadorian Coast Guard to identify, sex, and measure each of the 379 sharks found on board…
Vintage travel brochure for the Namakagon Queen and Historyland in Hayward, Wisconsin — Hayward is home to the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame contained within a 200-foot (61 m) long fiberglass Musky
Vinyl sticker c1979, a wreck used as a tourist info centre, sadly now gone.
Mackay is a city on the eastern coast of Queensland, Australia, about 970 kilometres (603 mi) north of Brisbane, on the Pioneer River. Mackay is nicknamed the sugar capital of Australia because its region produces more than a third of Australia’s cane sugar. One of the first Europeans to travel through the Mackay region was Captain James Cook, who reached the Mackay coast on 1 June 1770.
Mackay is well situated to become a major service centre for the marine industry, being in immediate proximity to the Whitsundays, and located halfway between Brisbane and Cairns. Currently the Mackay Marina is the largest base in the district for the maintenance, refit and related services for all marine craft, particularly Super Yachts.
The Mackay Whitsunday Super Yacht Cluster, a group of regional companies focusing on providing integrated repair, refit and provisioning for the increasing number of visiting super yachts, was established in 2001 to support and promote the development of this sector. Mackay has 31 beaches within comfortable driving distance. The islands immediately off Mackay are renowned for their azure blue waters, and are popular with fishermen.
Video of Odori-Don: Dancing Zombie Squid Sashimi on Scuttlefish
Odori Don is a hakodate dish where a squid’s head is removed and its legs are served nearly fresh. So fresh that adding soy sauce to the squid causes its legs to dance, even with its brain detached. That’s right–this squid dances without its brain. see the video
Coming Next Week: Navigation and Positioning Technology Roundup
Catalina Island Museum Collections – via susiesnapshot
GENE AUTRY – Don’t Fence Me In; 78 rpm single (click thru to listen)
Maritime Monday is compiled by Monkey Fist
Monkey Fist is a smack-talking, potty mouthed, Yankee hating, Red Sox fan in Portland, Maine. In addition to compiling Maritime Monday, she blogs about nautical art, history, and marine science on Adventures of the Blackgang and The Scuttlefish
Submit story ideas, news links, photographs, or items of interest to her at [email protected]. She can also out-belch any man.