The containership MV Madrid Bridge is believed to have lost some 60 containers overboard in the North Atlantic last week, the ship’s operator Ocean Network Express (ONE) reported Thursday. Another 80 units were damaged, the company said.
As we reported earlier this week, the Madrid Bridge suffered a container collapse on January 7 while on passage in the Atlantic Ocean from Singapore to New York. The number of containers impacted was not immediately clear.
The ship’s owner, Kawasaki Kisen Kaisha Ltd (K Line), said there were no injuries and no loss of containers with dangerous cargo.
ONE said earlier that the ship was proceeding to New York, however today’s update said the ship will likely call in Charleston for damage assessment and cargo discharge operations.
“The vessel is currently proceeding towards the East Coast of the United States and, if all goes well, will be calling in Charleston, for a detailed assessment of the vessel condition and to discharge the affected containers,” the update said.
Based on past similar incidents, the Madrid Bridge is likely to remain out of service for months as it undergoes cargo operations.
The MV Madrid Bridge is a 14,6778 dwt containership built in 2018 and flagged in Japan. It is 365.94 meters in length and has a cargo carrying capacity of 13,900 TEU. K Line Ship management is the ship’s manager.
Madrid Bridge is operated on ONE’s East Coast 4 (EC4) Service.
Sign up for our newsletter