East Googwin Lightship
On the drawing of the East Goodwin Lightship the Marconi aerial can be seen suspended from the spar at the masthead.
This Lightship was equiped with wireless apparatus in 1898, after a series of experiments the installations were completed and a communication link was sucessfully established so that the vessel was capable of calling for assistance. Marconi reported that “the installation started working from the very first without the slightest difficulty”. http://www.offshore-radio.de/fleet/goodwin.htm
Sign up for our newsletter
Be the First
Join the 63,529 members that receive our newsletter.
Have a news tip? Let us know.