Summary of maritime crime developments and incidents, week of 24 February 2011 (source: ONI):
- Yacht (CAPRICORN) was fired upon and boarded 2 Mar approximately 580NM east of Socotra Island, Yemen.
- Bulk carrier (DOVER) was hijacked 28 Feb approximately 35NM SE of Madrakah, Oman.
- Bulk carrier (KIRAN ASYA) was fired upon 27 Feb approximately 66NM east of Masirah, Oman.
- Oil tanker (BANI YAS) was fired upon 25 Feb approximately 420NM east of Socotra Island, Yemen.
- Bulk carrier (GREAT LEGEND) was fired upon 25 Feb approximately 250NM ENE of Socotra Island, Yemen
- Container ship (MSC KALINA) was fired upon 25 Feb approximately 250NM ENE of Socotra Island, Yemen.
- Yacht (ING) was hijacked 24 Feb approximately 250NM NE of Socotra Island, Yemen.
- Tanker was robbed approximately 2.1NM SSW of Pulau Mungging.
Piracy Threat Forecast Summary:
Weather conditions are expected to remain relatively calm despite the current monsoon season, creating conditions conducive to small boat activity throughout the piracy operating area, particularly in the Arabian Sea, Somali Basin, and Gulf of Aden. When transiting the region, mariners are encouraged to contact UKMTO and all appropriate authorities.