ORP Piorun (G65) was an N-class destroyer used by the Polish Navy during the Second World War. The name is Polish for lightning. Ordered by the Royal Navy in 1939, the ship was laid down as HMS Nerissa before being acquired by Poland in October 1940 prior to completion.
Between 13 and 15 March 1941, while undergoing repairs in John Brown’s shipyard, she took part in the defence of Clydebank against air raids by the Luftwaffe. Following the Second World War, the vessel was returned to the Royal Navy and recommissioned as HMS Noble until being discarded in 1955. more
Irish Times: For much of the 20th century, Ireland had an ambivalent relationship with the second World War. On the one hand, Ireland was one of just five European states that remained neutral during the most devastating war in human history; on the other hand, thousands of Irishmen volunteered to join the Allied war effort, whether for material or ideological reasons. Others, though significantly fewer in number, fought for Hitler’s Germany.
In his new book, David Blake Knox explores a much neglected aspect of Irish involvement in the war. Suddenly, While Abroad tells the story of 32 merchant seamen from Ireland whose ships were sunk by the German navy and who, after refusing to work for the Nazis, were sent to an SS slave-labour camp in Farge, a small inland port on the River Weser near the north German city of Bremen. keep reading
- Irish Slaves of the Nazis Remembered on Ireland’s Independent
- How Irish seamen were abandoned by our government to face Nazi brutality
- The Long Watch: Irish Mercantile Marine during World War II
HMS Illustrious (R06) Following the retirement of her fixed-wing British Aerospace Harrier II aircraft in 2010, Illustrious operated as one of two Royal Navy helicopter carriers. After 32 years’ service, the oldest ship in the Royal Navy’s active fleet was formally decommissioned on 28 August 2014 even though she would not be replaced until HMS Queen Elizabeth’s commissioning in 2017.
On 3 April 1986 she suffered a catastrophic gearbox failure which almost saw the end of the vessel’s naval career. Just starting out on her “fly the flag” around the globe trip, at about 23:30, whilst reaching full engine revs, the oil vapour surrounding the gearbox exploded causing a fire lasting well over four hours. At one point the captain made preparations to abandon ship, but was then overruled by the fleet admiral who believed the ship could be saved. more on wikipedia
Ontario-based photographer Stephen Orlando continues to create spectacular studies of movement through light paintings. Using LED lights and slow shutter speeds, he has captured the energetic motion of music and the repeating gestures associated with aquatic travel. more
The Brynhild was a gaff yawl designed by Charles E. Nicholson, she was launched at Camper & Nicholsons yard of Gosport, England in 1899. She is now named the Black Swan and underwent a major refit in 2000/2002; most of the bottom planking was renewed and the whole deck structure was carefully reconditioned. She got a complete new set of spars and rigging and the two original engines have been rebuilt, and all new technical, electric and plumbing equipment. Now that the refit is completed, BLACK SWAN 1899 is one of the largest and oldest classic sailing yachts in the world. more
- Black Swan of 1899 specs on BoatInternational
- Classic Charles E. Nicholson Superyacht Black Swan of 1899
Old Salt Blog – Happy birthday to Commodore John Barry, born on this day in 1745, in Tacumshane, County Wexford, Ireland. He is considered by many to be the “father of the United States Navy.” While John Paul Jones is far more famous, John Barry was in many respects the superior naval commander… keep reading
He (was) America’s first commissioned naval officer, at the rank of commodore, receiving his commission from President George Washington in 1797. more on wikipedia
USS Oregon (BB-3) was a pre-dreadnought Indiana-class battleship of the United States Navy, built by Union Iron Works of San Francisco, California and launched 26 October 1893. She departed from San Francisco on 19 March, and reached Jupiter Inlet 66 days later, a journey of 14,000 nautical miles (26,000 km; 16,000 mi). This was considered a remarkable achievement at the time. The journey popularized the ship with the American public and demonstrated the need for a shorter route, which led to construction of the Panama Canal.
She bore the nickname “Bulldog of the Navy”, most likely because of her high bow wave—known as “having a bone in her teeth” in nautical slang. more
via NYC Tugzz – In the past, the park contained perennial plants (herbs, asparagus, swiss chard, fruit trees with persimmons), which grew on the 80-foot-long barge (a wetland structure) using filtered water from the New York Harbor. Now, with an updated look in collaboration with Strongbow, the duo will transform the barge into a floating apple orchard and perennial garden oasis to set sail on the waters surrounding Manhattan next month through fall. more
Swale is a collaborative floating food project dedicated to rethinking and challenging New York City’s connection to our environment. Built on a 130-foot by 40-foot floating platform, Swale contains an edible forest garden. more
While the “Jamestown” was moored in Boston, the Cunard Line steamer “Hibernia” arrived with news of the the second consecutive year that blight had ruined the potato crop in Ireland and the resulting Irish famine, Bostonians responded immediately. Mayor Josiah Quincy hosted a meeting attended by about four thousand people at Fanueil Hall on February 18, 1847.
A New England Relief committee was formed, which included Robert Bennet and John Murray Forbes. R. B. Forbes began to lobby for the Jamestown, which was lying idle in Charlestown Navy Yard. On March 3, by U.S. Congressional resolution, R. B. Forbes was authorized to take command of the Jamestown and Captain George Coleman McKay was authorized to command USS “Macedonian,” also at New York Navy Yard.
$151,000 and tons of food were donated and loaded onto the vessel by the Boston Labourers Society (mostly Irish), free of charge. R.B. Forbes supervised this and the refitting of the ship, including removal of all but two of its cannon. The Jamestown left Boston at 8:30 a.m. on March 28, 1847, carrying 800 tons of provisions. more