Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USMMA Just Got $54m for Campus Renovations

Mikey is offline Administrator
    Thanks

Default USMMA Just Got $54m for Campus Renovations

U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood Announces $54 Million for Merchant Marine Academy Campus Renovations, Next Step for Strategic Plan

KINGS POINT, N.Y. – U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood took part in a town hall meeting today with midshipmen, faculty and staff at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY, to announce $54 million for additional campus construction and renovations. While at the Academy, he also announced the next step in the Academy’s strategic planning process, which will help prioritize improvements for the school’s long-term future.

“The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy is one of my top priorities,” said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. “The improvements we’ve already made and the new renovations announced today are an important step. Together with the strategic plan, they will help ensure the Academy’s success well into the future.”

During his visit, Secretary LaHood outlined construction and improvement projects planned for the current year, including the renovation of Delano Hall and repairs to Mallory Pier. The Academy’s electrical system, dating to its founding in the 1940s, will also be updated, among other improvements.

Since FY2009, the Administration has requested and Congress has appropriated more than $300 million for the Academy, which includes $239 million for operations and $61 million for capital improvements – including $23 million last year, the most funding ever secured for physical improvements at the Academy.

The Secretary also announced the next step in the Academy’s strategic planning process, encouraging midshipmen, faculty and staff to provide their feedback beginning with a survey this week. First announced in January, the strategic plan will serve to help prioritize investments and help the Academy provide a first-class education for future Kings Point midshipmen.

“Everyone will have a chance to add their thoughts to the strategic planning process,” Secretary LaHood said. “But no one knows the Academy better than its midshipmen, faculty and staff, which is why we’re starting the process with them.”

Led by acting Superintendent Dr. Shashi Kumar and Secretary LaHood, the Strategic Planning process will involve a comprehensive outreach effort that will include input from students and faculty as well as alumni, maritime industry representatives and other Academy stakeholders. The plan is scheduled to be completed before the start of the next school year and will address issues such as the Academy’s statutory mission, the needs of the maritime industry and American higher education accreditation expectations. The process will be led by a steering committee made up of a cross-section of midshipmen, faculty and staff at the Academy, as well as U.S. Department of Transportation and Maritime Administration leadership.
    --
    Mike Schuler
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,511 Posts

Default Re: USMMA Just Got $54m for Campus Renovations

This is the equivalent of an obscene gesture made by MarAd in the face of all Americans. What the hell gives Ray LaHood such a major woodie when in comes to KP anyway? You'd have thought he was a card carrying member of the la Famiglia...oops, sorry I mean KP alumni. I've said it here before but MarAd's position is that "we must keep on wasting money at KP because they have wasted so much money there already. Just keep shovelling it into the vast gaping hole in the hope that someday it will be filled in to the top, but because that septic pit only grows larger by the year, no amount of money borrowed from the Chinese will ever do the job. My God how this is beginning to reek of feces!

$300M spent in only three years! MY GOD, how much has already been stolen there to date? The Goddamned GAO need to go back and this time really find out how horrendous the corruption is there! Where in the name of Christ is all that money? In who's bank account did it go? Who in the USMMA Administration there received kickbacks? For the love of God, somebody at the House Infrastructure and Transportation Committee must have a conscience and a pair of balls? Demand fiscal accountability? Send people to prison! THIS INSANITY MUST BE BROUGHT TO AN END!

Btw, I m rested now from my long squawk Mr. jdcavo...I am feeling a bit peckish though and thinking a little fermented curd will do the trick ;-)

Last edited by c.captain; March 17th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
    Share on Facebook

Jetryder223 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

You really don't like USMMA, do you C. Capt?

Regardless, like it or not, the school will be around for some time to come.

Try not to dwell on that Capt C. It will only make your crazy (crazier?)
    Share on Facebook

KPEngineer is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

C.captain ... The problem is you are actually trying to make sense of something the government does. It only makes sense from a purely political sense. Once a gov. Weenie reaches the level of actually being able to affect things then their sole focus is to either hold on to the power they have acquired or to acquire more. Usually both.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

You really don't like USMMA, do you C. Capt?
    dya think!

Regardless, like it or not, the school will be around for some time to come.
    Most likely, but there is always a chance that the putrifying rot will eventually become so foul that it will be eventually be smelled in the US Congress which will take some doing since the Capitol stinks like a dairy farm after a heavy rain in July.

Try not to dwell on that Capt C. It will only make your crazy (crazier?)
    My prescription of those magical little pink pills runs out soon...I've got to call Dr. McCoy and have him get another dumptuck load for me. God help everyone's souls if I run out and end up going cold turkey without them. The last time there were unidentified body parts found in the most amazing of places. Luckily my attorney got me off on a technicality. Isn't our legal system just grand!
    Share on Facebook

captnzar is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

C.capt after reading your threads I can see why you have so much time on your hands. You have got to be the whinniest pos on board. Thank god I never served with you, and my prayers go out to those that have.
    Share on Facebook

richard8000milesaway is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Deleted!!!!!!
    "Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
    Abraham Lincoln, 16th President (1809-1865)
    Share on Facebook

richard8000milesaway is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Deleted!!!!!!!!
    "Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
    Abraham Lincoln, 16th President (1809-1865)
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captnzar View Post
    Thank god I never served with you, and my prayers go out to those that have.
    my dearest captainonly2teenytinyposts...

and eff you too!

btw, do you really want to wind me up all over again on this subject? You know I never ever tire of thrashing KP and am well rested up since the last go-round here so would love to go another 10 rounds with you or any other featherweight contender.

Share on Facebook

ryanwood86 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Yesss! It's been quite for to long around here. Popcorn is popping now!!
    Share on Facebook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ryanwood86 For This Useful Post:

c.captain (May 5th, 2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwood86 View Post
    Yesss! It's been quite for to long around here. Popcorn is popping now!!
    Nice to be able to count on my loyal supporters and fellow brother mariners...one of which I know is actually be KP'er himself! They aren't all sycophantic zombies from some Michael Jackson video even though Captain kenneth R. Force USMS does a pretty awesome "moonwalk"!

Let's see now if el capitano mini peepee comes back. I hope he does so your popcorn doesn't go to waste.Ryan
    Share on Facebook

ryanwood86 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain

Let's see now if el capitano mini peepee comes back. I hope he does so your popcorn doesn't go to waste.Ryan

I have a feeling it will. I think he'll only post up one more time then off to the black hole with the others.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast