Thread: Canadian Towing Vessel Question(s)

tchalla is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Canadian Towing Vessel Question(s)

A few days ago, I had a conversation regarding Towing vessels and the subject of Canadian vessels came up. More specifically, the following

What is usual for a Canadian Towing vessel, i.e. crew quarters, size of crew, who cooks, etc..

Here is a quick summary of the responses from the American side of things

- An ATB usually has a 7 man crew (maybe more for international runs 8 or 9).
    - On most, the Deckhands share a room. Usually the Tankerman share too. But that depends upon the company and the particular vessel.
    - Most refurbished ATBs that are converted from a conventional tug have shared rooms. With only the Capt, Chief Mate and Engineer having thier own room. - Most of the new ATBs have seperate rooms for all. But again, that depends upon the company and particular vessel.
    - Most vessels nowaday have either a treadmill or an elipiticle. Crew health and fitness is a HUGE issue.
    - I don't know about Canadian ATBs, but just about all US ATBs the deckhand does the cooking (as well as the deck job for one meal a day. The other two meals are help yourself.
    Share on Facebook

rshrew is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

The small harbor tugs in New West in BC are two man boats. 12hr shifts from what I have seen. The coastal tugs vary on the west coast most seem to have a capt and mate with 2 deckhands and 1 engineer. On any new build tug the quarters for crew must be built above the waterline as well I believe.
    Share on Facebook

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Any help from some Great lakers? how about anyone from the "Mcleod/Everlast? No Canadian ATB crew on here?
    Share on Facebook

tugsailor is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts

Default Re: Canadian Towing Vessel Question(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
    Any help from some Great lakers? how about anyone from the "Mcleod/Everlast? No Canadian ATB crew on here?

I sure wish our neighbors to the north would post some info about Canadian towing. Seaspan? Atlantic? Where are you?
    Share on Facebook