1. What does NEO consist of? Do you get any more unlicensed endorsements through it (i.e. I dont have the Machinist endorsement so I dont have an "Any Unlicensed Rating". All mine are actually listed)
2. Does NEO include HUET (helicopter underwater egress training)
3. I read on one of these posts that you can retire in 20 from MSC. Is that true? Is there an exception for civmars in the FERS because otherwise that would be impossible. According to the FERS system I couldnt retire until I'm close to 60(I'm 31 with 4 years Navy service
4. How much time off can you take? I have heard so many conflicting stories about this. If I do 4 months out can I get 2 months home even if its unpaid?
5. I will be taking my 3rd A/E soon and how hard will it be to get a 3rd position once I do that?
6. How much liberty time do you get in port if any?( I havent been able to leave the ship I'm currently on for 10 minutes in the last 2 offloads! I'm at over 75 days without touching land at this point)
7. Do unlicensed personel (reefer eng'rs) get their own room?
I had a ton more but thats all I can think right now
Info is a little dated, but I'm sure others will chime in to correct any glaring errors :
1. NEO (New Employee Orientation) : Firefighting/Damage Control/EEO/Sexual Harassment/Personal Responsibility/CBR-D/maybe helo firefighting.
2. No. HUET is more of an offshore (oil field) course - not provided by MSC.
3. Years in service (including military time) + your age = 85 (I think that's still the magic age). Therefore, retirement age will vary.
4. Best o'luck with the time off - leave without pay used to be hard to get.
6. Normal work day + rotating duty at night. Normally have a couple of nights off in port.
7. Depends on the ship.
MSC is a great way to go to get some experience and make some money.