Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: License Oral exam Joke

  1. #1
    Kennebec Captain's Avatar
    Kennebec Captain is online now Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,737
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 913 Times in 482 Posts

    Default License Oral exam Joke

    So the mate finishes his exam but the examiner want to ask a few question to determine the fitness of the candidate.He asks the mate: You''re anchored in 6 fathoms of water and the wind picks up and your vessel starts to drag anchor, what do you do?" "I'd drop another anchor," the mate replies. "Ok, says the examiner, "say the wind increases some more and with two anchors down, you again start to drag, what do you do then?" "I'd drop another anchor." is the answer. The examiner gets a little exasperated and asks, " Where the hell are you getting all these anchors? " Answer:" Same place you're getting all this wind."
    K.C.
    Share on Facebook

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kennebec Captain For This Useful Post:

    Capt Bob (February 17th, 2013), heavyseas (February 19th, 2013), seacomber (February 17th, 2013), Swampfox (February 17th, 2013), Tugs (February 17th, 2013), tugsailor (February 17th, 2013)

  3. #2
    andysternbild's Avatar
    andysternbild is offline Just Browsing
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: License Oral exam Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Kennebec Captain View Post
    So the mate finishes his exam but the examiner want to ask a few question to determine the fitness of the candidate.He asks the mate: You''re anchored in 6 fathoms of water and the wind picks up and your vessel starts to drag anchor, what do you do?" "I'd drop another anchor," the mate replies. "Ok, says the examiner, "say the wind increases some more and with two anchors down, you again start to drag, what do you do then?" "I'd drop another anchor." is the answer. The examiner gets a little exasperated and asks, " Where the hell are you getting all these anchors? " Answer:" Same place you're getting all this wind."
    Is the best way in this situation, start engine immediately and heave up the anchor ?
    Share on Facebook

  4. #3
    Kennebec Captain's Avatar
    Kennebec Captain is online now Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,737
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 913 Times in 482 Posts

    Default Re: License Oral exam Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by andysternbild View Post
    Is the best way in this situation, start engine immediately and heave up the anchor ?
    The expected answer is that you should use the engine to help hold positon.

    The decison to heave anchor or not depends upon the situation. In many cases it might be better to leave the anchor down at least until you have regained control. Even while dragging, the anchor is exeting a powerful tunning force that can be used to advantage. Once control is regained a decison can be made to anchor again or leave the anchorage.

    Use of two anchors may not be a suitable tactic for a large single screw vessel becuase of the risk of fouling.
    K.C.
    Share on Facebook

  5. #4
    sailcapt is offline gCaptain Crew
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts

    Default Re: License Oral exam Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by Kennebec Captain View Post
    So the mate finishes his exam but the examiner want to ask a few question to determine the fitness of the candidate.He asks the mate: You''re anchored in 6 fathoms of water and the wind picks up and your vessel starts to drag anchor, what do you do?" "I'd drop another anchor," the mate replies. "Ok, says the examiner, "say the wind increases some more and with two anchors down, you again start to drag, what do you do then?" "I'd drop another anchor." is the answer. The examiner gets a little exasperated and asks, " Where the hell are you getting all these anchors? " Answer:" Same place you're getting all this wind."
    These is assuming the appropriate shots where payed out to start with, And if they where, wouldn't one consider increasing scope first.
    Share on Facebook

  6. #5
    captaint76's Avatar
    captaint76 is online now Old Salt
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    223
    Thanks
    267
    Thanked 101 Times in 68 Posts

    Default

    FFS guys it's a damn joke!
    Share on Facebook

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captaint76 For This Useful Post:

    Flyer69 (October 20th, 2014), Jetryder223 (October 21st, 2014)

  8. #6
    sailcapt is offline gCaptain Crew
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South east
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 19 Times in 9 Posts

    Default Re: License Oral exam Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by captaint76 View Post
    FFS guys it's a damn joke!
    No shit. you got to kidding
    Share on Facebook

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to sailcapt For This Useful Post:

    cmakin (October 20th, 2014)

  10. #7
    Kennebec Captain's Avatar
    Kennebec Captain is online now Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,737
    Thanks
    503
    Thanked 913 Times in 482 Posts

    Default Re: License Oral exam Joke

    Quote Originally Posted by sailcapt View Post
    These is assuming the appropriate shots where payed out to start with, And if they where, wouldn't one consider increasing scope first.
    Where the hell you getting all that chain?
    K.C.
    Share on Facebook

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •