Page 34 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Costa Concordia Disaster - What happened?

Sweat-n-Grease is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 625 Posts

Default Re: Costa Concordia Disaster - What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck1 View Post
    There are a bunch of youtube videos by pax below deck during the event too. Seems they were trying to use the elevators as water is cascading down the stairwells with crew trying to direct them. Watching them makes me think it is a miracle only 33 died.
    Indeed, can you imagine what would have happened had she capsized in deep water, most fortuitous the wind brought her in as the thrusters were not operable. Terrible disaster, but it could have been so much worse!
    ~ the road goes on forever and the party never ends ~
    Share on Facebook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweat-n-Grease For This Useful Post:

c.captain (February 1st, 2012)

Topsail is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat-n-Grease View Post
    Indeed, can you imagine what would have happened had she capsized in deep water, most fortuitous the wind brought her in as the thrusters were not operable. Terrible disaster, but it could have been so much worse!
    Lucky for sure ... because if you look at the January Pilot Chart, the Mediterranean Ocean sets the current away from the island, to the North-North-West at 0.6 knot !

Attached Images Attached Images
    Share on Facebook

Topsail is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

I can assure you that making such a sharp turn on a dead ship is impossible without an anchor holding fast on the bottom (21:09:35). Afterward, you need a pretty good windlass to heave that anchor clear of the bottom, as fast as possible to maintain the desired heading steady. Then the vessel was kept at right angle by the NE wind, the port bow just inside the NW current. Through the momentum, the resultant force set the vessel toward the Island. Quite a (lucky) maneuver.

http://news.qps.nl.s3.amazonaws.com/...ion+by+QPS.wmv
    Share on Facebook

john is offline Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
    I can assure you that making such a sharp turn on a dead ship is impossible without an anchor holding fast on the bottom (21:09:35). Afterward, you need a pretty good windlass to heave that anchor clear of the bottom, as fast as possible to maintain the desired heading steady.
    I'm going to disagree with you here Topsail.

First, have we 100% discredited the possible use of one (or more) thrusters?

Second, as mentioned in a previous thread (and in my pre-concordia article Two Anchors Are Better Than One) you do not want (or need!) the anchor to hold fast to execute such a turn. But to accomplish this maneuver you do not want the anchor to set, it's weight - touching bottom - alone (or with some extra chain) is enough to move the pivot point of the ship well forward.

It would be impossible to accomplish this turn with the anchor set for if you had a strong enough mooring winch, the winch would need to pull the ship forward to release the anchor which would bring the bow back to port.

Now - assuming they only let out enough chain to let the anchor touch bottom but not enough for it to set - whether they needed to recover the anchor, or not, to drift sideways depends on if the force of the wind against the vessel's sail area was enough to overcome the force of drag (from the anchor) on the bow..
    Share on Facebook

NimitzFan is offline gCaptain Crew Greenhorn
    Thanks

Curious. As I write this note, I am looking at a photograph of the ship from shore during the evacuation. (I can't link you to it because I saved it to my PC and I don't know where I got it from.) The ship has about a 30 degree starboard list and the evacuation is plainly in progress. There are many people visible, but there seems to be only one boat remaining aboard in the starboard davits (the stern-most). There are 12 boats visible in the water, some heading for shore. Life rafts are beginning to be deployed from the first davit station.

In this photograph, the starboard anchor chain is clear against the ship's white hull. The starboard anchor is down. There is no one on the forecastle; I doubt it was raised subsequently.

If you'll send me a private note, I'll happily send you the picture as an attachment.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

[QUOTE=Topsail;62276]Lucky for sure ... because if you look at the January Pilot Chart, the Mediterranean Ocean sets the current away from the island, to the North-North-West at 0.6 knot !

Would not an island produce eddy currents which might be favorable, and along with the wind, move the stricken vessel to its final position? My God, the more you look into this totally preventable disaster "lucky" is the word. Unfortunately there were still deaths which are tragic but think of potential thousands, my God almighty.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Question, you sure don't need power to drop an anchor but you sure need it to raise an anchor, plus, how can a mooring winch be employed without power?
    The ship didn't have any ship service electrical power except what was supplied by the emer gen - would the emer gen power a mooring winch, doubtful but I could be wrong.
    Edit to add:
    The anchor and mooring winches might be powered via hydraulic power source which needs juice to power them.
    Share on Facebook

dbhindin is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you here Topsail.

First, have we 100% discredited the possible use of one (or more) thrusters?
    snipped
    From what power source?

My Post 203:
    Re: Costa Concordia Disaster - What happened? Engineering Details
    http://gcaptain.com/forum/profession...html#post61627

"100% discredited"? No.

"No thrusters" does appear to be a safe bet.
    Share on Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dbhindin For This Useful Post:

john (February 1st, 2012)

john is offline Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat-n-Grease View Post
    Question, you sure don't need power to drop an anchor but you sure need it to raise an anchor, plus, how can a mooring winch be employed without power?The ship didn't have any ship service electrical power except what was supplied by the emer gen - would the emer gen power a mooring winch, doubtful but I could be wrong.Edit to add: The anchor and mooring winches might be powered via hydraulic power source which needs juice to power them.
    Most of the press information for the Concordia (like this) lists 6 main generators but RINA lists 7. A few drillships - with similar diesel electric propulsion - I've worked on had one full sized aux generator located apart from the E/R in addition to a smaller emergency gen. Is it possible that the 7th engine is a full sized Aux gen?
    Share on Facebook

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NimitzFan View Post

In this photograph, the starboard anchor chain is clear against the ship's white hull. The starboard anchor is down. There is no one on the forecastle; I doubt it was raised subsequently.
    Yup. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been raised either. Nor was the CC moving WHEN it was dropped. Actually I don't believe the anchors, or their deployment are relevant to the incident. Whether Shittino should have dropped them earlier is another question to be debated, but from the pictures one can make the inference they were useless. For more pics see # 294
    Share on Facebook

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
    I can assure you that making such a sharp turn on a dead ship is impossible without an anchor holding fast on the bottom (21:09:35).
    I would tend to disagree with this assessment. Looking at the spacing of the last 4 plots, the CC has 'about' the same speed upwind as in the downwind 4 plots. She was at the end of momentum, and reached dead ship/ no way status, then simply turned and answered to the wind and drifted ashore. This is shown by the 90degree heading change. After she started the SW drift the heading change never wavered until she fetched up on shore. Even the relative speed of advance remained pretty similar throughout drift too. As CC is slewing from original heading (or a lazy right turn) once she heads up to wind the speed plot shows no change in velocity until she stopped, then she turned. Why did she turn to STBD? Boats sometimes answer strangely. But she did take off to STBD. I would bet they will find the remaining rudder (Or the rudder stocks) still hard to starboard! That would explain the slowly decreasing turn to STBD, until she lost all way, and had NO flow over the rudder.
    Share on Facebook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cappy208 For This Useful Post:

Starbuck1 (February 1st, 2012)

Thanks

There
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    A few drillships - with similar diesel electric propulsion - I've worked on had one full sized aux generator located apart from the E/R in addition to a smaller emergency gen. Is it possible that the 7th engine is a full sized Aux gen?
    There's always such as possibility, nothing yet in my readings suggest it but hardly any meat-n-potato info on the vessel's machinery has surfaced.
    I'm still of the opinion all ship's service generators were knocked-out but it certainly is an engaging question, were there 7 and if so was the 7th placed in an area where it was still functioning until the ship went horizontal? If there is a 7th it sure could have powered-up the deck machinery.There has to be some knowledgeable folks reading the thread who can address this question.
    Share on Facebook

Page 34 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast