Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commercial Bottom Paint - Anti-Fouling Paint Used On Ships

cmjeff is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Commercial Bottom Paint - Anti-Fouling Paint Used On Ships

I have and old friend who bought an old workboat to do fishing tours and he is having problems keeping the bottom of the boat clean from barnacles, etc. So he asked me what the commercial ships use to paint their bottoms. The last time I was involved with painting a ship's bottom I think we used Intersleek but, the question is... which commercial bottom paint is best for anti-fouling?

Also...

What is in the paint that keeps the barnacles off?

And..

What is in the paint used in other countries? I was once in Indonesea and the agent offered to get us Tin based paint on the black market, he said that nothing prevents marine growth like tin, but I hear it's deadly to marine life in the harbor and, since my buddy's customers all fish, he has no interest in harming the marine environment.... but he's heard of other captain's mixing "additives" into their paint (e.g. everything from Mildercide from Home Depot to shavings from lead-free solder to chili pepper) that may or may not be legal. I've also heard the Navy uses some pretty nasty stuff that can only be purchased & applied overseas.
    Share on Facebook

NAUTICART is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Re: Commercial Bottom Paint - Anti-Fouling Paint Used On Ships

Hey cmjeff, what type of hull???

I never seen any difference in growth from hulls where they used cyan pepper mixed in paint, my theroy is it gets dilluted in the biga$$ body of water it's in.

The "ablative" paints, in theroy, gradually wear while under way, and inhibit the barnacles from "seeding" to the boat. Well it only takes 24 hours for a barnacle to do this and be seen with the naked eye. So running the boat often would be best for that option.

I don't remember anything about Tin in paints that we used at the ship yard 100 or so years ago.

If he can make it/ or not to clear waters, I would just get used to taking it out and diving the bottom frequently to maintain.

I like to check all intakes frequently.

Interlux and petit make a clear antifouling paint he can use on the sea strainers.

I'm not up with the industry like I used to be, but I would contact the manufacturer, they don't spend millions on research to have thier product fail.

Some paints require a pesticide certification and license for application. Thats where the small boat yards stick ya.

I would come and do it, but plane tickest and beer would get expensive.
    If you're bored..........it's your fault.
    Share on Facebook

Mr 100-ton is offline Top Contributer Greenhorn
    Thanks

if he does a search on the following forum it will give him lots of info

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/

it is a sailboat forum that has covered the topic
    Share on Facebook

john is offline Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmjeff View Post
    What is in the paint that keeps the barnacles off?
    Why not check the MSDS sheets? It should list most of the ingredients... at least the nasty ones.

Tin was outlawed many years back and was replaced with TBT which is still manufactured in the US but is illegal in most states. But I think you're on the right track asking what the Navy uses... since they don't have to follow the laws. I remember talking to a supplier of fixed-firefighting systems in Singapore who said the Navy ships still come in to port to load up on Halon which has been banned in the US.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Why bother with bottom paint? Just wrap copper around the hull and be done with it
    Share on Facebook

anchorman is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 100-ton View Post
    Why bother with bottom paint? Just wrap copper around the hull and be done with it
    Then you would have to worry about meth addicts with scuba gear.
    "Captain standard operating procedure for decision making is to do what feels right to you at the time, and then to give logical sounding justifications for what you were already going to do anyway" -
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
    Then you would have to worry about meth addicts with scuba gear.
    I will think about that one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Share on Facebook

NAUTICART is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Recent article about Hullspeed's Marine Coatings From MarineLog
    If you're bored..........it's your fault.
    Share on Facebook

gcsaylor is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

I am a former Marine coatings sales and technical guy.

Intersleek is a very high tech silicon foul release coating which contains NO biocides or heavy metals in it. Great for the environment, really a quality product for boats that are on the move, but easily damaged and abrasive wear in silty waters.

TIN as in Tributyltin, as in TBT is an IMO outlawed antifouling system. It was so effective entire harbors were coming up devoid of life. It was replaced with the older cuprous oxide coating which requires a substantial epoxy barrier between the copper and the steel (even worse aluminum) for galvanic corrosion.

Hullspeed looks VERY interesting. I met the factory guys at the Workboat show earlier this week and was pretty impressed with the product. It's a silicone/epoxy foul release coating however it has the strength and durability of epoxy. Of course that's the hype you see from the marketing guys, I want to see the panel tests. As a racing sailor, many of the hullspeed products look unique and desirable for boat prep.
    Share on Facebook

seacomber is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Have successfully used several brands of copper paint mixed with cayenne pepper (1 can/gallon). No barnacles or growth of any kind, seems they didn't like the heat. Hauled out and bottom painted annually in Sitka.
    Share on Facebook

catherder is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Why not check the MSDS sheets? It should list most of the ingredients... at least the nasty ones.

Tin was outlawed many years back and was replaced with TBT which is still manufactured in the US but is illegal in most states. But I think you're on the right track asking what the Navy uses... since they don't have to follow the laws. I remember talking to a supplier of fixed-firefighting systems in Singapore who said the Navy ships still come in to port to load up on Halon which has been banned in the US.
    US Navy ships have to comply with the Uniform National Discharge Standards (UNDS) which cover a variety of shipboard discharges including hull leachate (AF paint that sloughs off, and/or the compounds it releases to the surrounding water).

It's a work in progress, but I can assure you the Navy can't just put anything on their bottoms anymore, especially considering the complexity of US law regarding removing same in US shipyards, which are governed by OSHA regulations and are all situated in waters governed by the US EPA. So, no more TBT or other forbidden AF ingredients on Navy bottoms. At least not until they manage to offshore all Navy drydocking to places like Vietnam, Singapore, South Korea and the Philippines.

To add, I have some personal experience with Intersleek paint. Very expensive, needs careful prep, is easy to damage, needs at least 24 hours out of the water to cure, and is not for ships that sit around. Fouling will grow on it, but speed will remove the fouling. Supposed to be easier to scamp, too but I haven't spoken to any divers lately so I can't attest to that.

Five years ago, it came out to around 400-450 bucks a gallon, and I think that included the special primer. We painted an LMSR with it, including the CPP blades. That same ship is back in the yard, getting another shave and a haircut. The pics I saw looked pretty clean prior to sweep blast but they may be going with a different AF this time. Anyway, the paint job came out to I think, a million and a half. Maybe the earlier poster who was a paint rep can update us on the price? Dunno if I'd use it on a recreational or fish boat though.

But it's hella cool once on. Feels slick and rubbery! And it was the most gorgeous blue.
    Share on Facebook

catherder is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Soderman uw hull 2007 063.jpg

USNS Soderman 2007.

Intersleek. Slicker than snot on a glass doorknob.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast