Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ENG1 Seafarer's Medical Certificate...anybody know how to get one in the US?

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,429 Posts

Default ENG1 Seafarer's Medical Certificate...anybody know how to get one in the US?

Just lost a great fiber optic cable lay job in the central Pacific because I do not have an ENG1 Certificate. I know the seafarers in the rest of the world (at least Europe) seem to have them, but can they be obtained in the US and how does one go about it? Anybody else out there run across this problem?

Piss on the bloody lousy USCG for being so far behind the rest of the world on the certification of mariners...no wonder foreign ship operating companies won't touch us! Once the US used to lead the world on matters maritime, now we don't know our preverbial asses from our elbows!
    Share on Facebook

Flyer69 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: ENG1 Seafarer's Medical Certificate...anybody know how to get one in the US?

Try asking the people at www.mptusa.com or www.yachtmaster.com , they have dealings with MCA license applicants.
    Let them who know not how to pray, go to sea.
    Share on Facebook

Kingrobby is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Re: ENG1 Seafarer's Medical Certificate...anybody know how to get one in the US?

Hey, I had one of those a couple times for an English cruise ship I worked on, I got one of them in Ft Lauderdale, Florida at a small seamans medical center, cant remember the name. It was one of the lamest physicals I ever did, but maybe that was because of my position onboard(not a deck or engine officer). Seriously, it took about 20mins. good luck
    Ship Engines - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbynorman/sets/72157603921324598/
    Ships around the World - http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbynorman/sets/72157606763159635/
    Share on Facebook

Jeffrox is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 align=center><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e6e6e6><TD vAlign=top>
    Dr S M Green
    </TD><TD vAlign=top>
    Newport Hospital Occupational Health
    Borden Carey Building, Suite G-40
    11 Friendship Street
    Newport
    Rhode .Island 02840
    </TD><TD vAlign=top>
    001 401 845 1245
    </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#c5c5c5><TD vAlign=top>
    Dr E Grenet
    </TD><TD vAlign=top>
    Health Medical Centers
    1493 SE 17 Street
    Fort Lauderdale
    Florida
    </TD><TD vAlign=top>
    001 954 525 7595
    </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e6e6e6><TD vAlign=top>Dr M D Cull </TD><TD vAlign=top>
    4259 23rd Avenue W,
    Suite 200
    Seattle
    W A 98199
    </TD><TD vAlign=top>
    001 206 686 4878
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-...tandadvice.htm
    Share on Facebook

Flyer69 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Don't get apoplectic when you walk into one of those places and find the people there getting ENG1 certificates are dirty yachtie types that you seem to dislike so much.
    Let them who know not how to pray, go to sea.
    Share on Facebook

anchorman is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain View Post
    now we don't know our preverbial asses from our elbows!
    We? I would leave the elbow out of this. I'm thinking the head is more involved with the ass here. I doubt very seriously the Coast Guard has anything to do with you losing a job you didn't have to begin with.
    "Captain standard operating procedure for decision making is to do what feels right to you at the time, and then to give logical sounding justifications for what you were already going to do anyway" -
    Share on Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anchorman For This Useful Post:

Flyer69 (August 7th, 2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anchorman View Post
    We? I would leave the elbow out of this. I'm thinking the head is more involved with the ass here. I doubt very seriously the Coast Guard has anything to do with you losing a job you didn't have to begin with.
    The fact is that the ENG1 is part of the STCW Code which the USCG has chosen to dispense with along with relaxing many of the training requirements thus foreign shipowners (especiall;y European) consider Americans not fully STCW '95 and as a result, our STCW certificates are not considered as valid. Add to this a misconception that Americans are less than hard working, complainers who are overpaid and prone to filing unseaworthiness claims and voila', we're not considered for positions. Do you know any American seafarers working for Acergy, Subsea7, Coflexip, or Heerma (to name but a few of the very large international offshore contractors)? In their postings on OilCareers.com (which are frequent, especially for Acergy), those companies seem to always list candidates having a current ENG1 or medical certificate in their job requirements. Also how many times do you see OCS-B1 visa required but never "US citizen" as an alternative? Simply put, us Americans are not wanted by these companies (even on our own OCS) and I believe the USCG plays a big role in that. I would rather have to pass the higher standards of the STCW as written and have that certificate recognized around the world.

A big thank you to JeffRox for posting the list of physicians in the US who do ENG1 exams. I just wished I had asked this question a week ago when I was still in consideration for the job. One is very close to where I live...damn!
    Share on Facebook

Steamer is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

"The fact is that the ENG1 is part of the STCW Code ..."
    The UK MCA ENG1 is not part of STCW. A requirement for a maritime authority to issue a "medical fitness" certificate is. As a matter of fact, even the MCA accepts the medical certificates of such medically advanced nations as Bulgaria, Mauritius, Slovakia, Slovenia, Cyprus and a few others. They don't accept our medical certificates but will issue a license equivalent for certain certificates. There is a little document called an STCW white list that each maritime authority may add or remove whoever they feel like for whatever STCW requirement they choose.

Here is the UK information and the white list of medical certificates they will accept: http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/1815.pdf

" ... foreign shipowners (especiall;y European) consider Americans not fully STCW '95 and as a result, our STCW certificates are not considered as valid."
    It works both ways, look at each country's maritime authority White List.

"... I would rather have to pass the higher standards of the STCW as written and have that certificate recognized around the world."
    Your wish is coming true. That is why the CG is changing all those lower level licenses. We got a bad name for sending domestic licenses on international voyages and annoying port states all over the world.

Not that it will do anyone much good to argue with a potential employer but it is flag state that determines which medical certificate they will accept. Unless the flag of the vessel is UK, most others, even the Red Ensign Group of flags will accept a USCG medical certificate. The UK probably will soon since the CG has raised the medical standards. The prudent mariner will look at the flag of the vessel and determine which certificates and endorsements are needed and which are accepted on their white list.

Whether you will get anywhere with HR telling them your medical is just fine now is another story altogether, they don't read regulations, they just follow a checklist provided by someone else who doesn't really know what is acceptable and what isn't.
    Share on Facebook

tengineer is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Jamaica will issue you a ENG1 medical certificate, mon.
    Take a vacation and get a physical. Jamaica is on the "white list" but I wouldn't make a big issue of that while down there.
    Tengineer
    Share on Facebook

14620561 Guest

Thankiossk Cool!
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Here is exactly what I am referring to...

Master on Pipelay Vessel, Subsea 7

Experience and Education (required)
    • Class 1 Master (Unlimited)
    • DP certificate (Unlimited)
    • Valid Medical Certificate
    • Training & certification in accordance with the Subsea 7 Training Matrices for the vessel
    • Experience from pipe lay operations
    They won't accept the USCG STCW/License as proof of medical fitness
    Share on Facebook

DVanNevel is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

The fact is that the ENG1 is part of the STCW Code which the USCG has chosen to dispense with along with relaxing many of the training requirements thus foreign shipowners (especiall;y European) consider Americans not fully STCW '95 and as a result, our STCW certificates are not considered as valid. Add to this a misconception that Americans are less than hard working, complainers who are overpaid and prone to filing unseaworthiness claims and voila', we're not considered for positions.
    Your post isn't doing anything to dispel the misconceptions you cite.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast