Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Master of Towing and a First class pilot endorsement

subatomicstang is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Question regarding Master of Towing and a First class pilot endorsement

The CFR says that if you are applying for FCP and you hold a Master of Towing that you may apply for an endorsement in lieu of original and that they will not issue anything under 1600 gt. Has anyone done this? Does applying for the endorsement instead of original mean you only have to take ROR, local knowledge, and Chart Sketch?
    Share on Facebook

z-drive is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: Question regarding Master of Towing and a First class pilot endorsement

Get the local FCP packet from your REC. My take on it is in that case you'd just hve to take what you mentioned. Up my way we have a few routes that may be restricted to unlimited Tug/Barge unless you have trips on conventional vessels over 1,600 tons (assuming your trips are on tugs/barges over 1,600 tons), otherwise without the trips over that tonnage threshold you're out of luck. But there are exceptions (SE Alaska for example) that have some tonnage exceptions, so get with your REC for the local packet.
    Share on Facebook

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

No pilotage is ever issued for less than 1600 tons anyway, as a vessel less than 1600 tons only requires recency. As Z-drive says, you must make sure you submit trips OVER 1600 GT. Some COTP areas have kowtowed to local Political Interest groups since visiting 'lowly' tug and barge operators can accrue significant trips over 1600 GT, and thus can get unlimited Pilotage. This 'encroachment' of " Other" Federal pilots is how the established organizations lose market share. If you are lucky enough to have 'ship' trips (over 1600 GT) consider yourself lucky. Regarding the exam. If you HAVE taken terrestrial at the unlimited Mate level, (since the new regs were imposed approx 2003 (or so)) then you will just have to do the RoR, local knowledge, chart plot and light list. If you have never taken terrestrial, then buckle up......

Regarding limited Pilotage, Some organizations have successfully petitioned the USCG to allow employees to sit for a limited endorsement (say 2,000GT). Or are route specific ( from ferry dock A to Ferry dock B). But these are few and far between. And the CG only gives these when political pressure overcomes the Regs.
    Last edited by cappy208; February 8th, 2013 at 04:09 AM.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

I am lucky enough to have ship trips. Im in a docking master apprenticeship right now. When i upgraded my license to 1600 master nc i only took a limited test. Ror, deck gen, and deck safety n environmental protection. Something like that anyways. Ill be sending my papers in next week i was just hoping someone would have knowledge of it.
    Thanks alot
    Share on Facebook

Tugted is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subatomicstang
    I am lucky enough to have ship trips. Im in a docking master apprenticeship right now. When i upgraded my license to 1600 master nc i only took a limited test. Ror, deck gen, and deck safety n environmental protection. Something like that anyways. Ill be sending my papers in next week i was just hoping someone would have knowledge of it.
    Thanks alot
    Where you doing this??
    Share on Facebook

Jolly Tar is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Re: Question regarding Master of Towing and a First class pilot endorsement

If he's in JAX like I think he is - he is INDEED lucky - the State Pilots let next to NO ONE ride for trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugted View Post
    Where you doing this??
    Share on Facebook

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Tar View Post
    If he's in JAX like I think he is - he is INDEED lucky - the State Pilots let next to NO ONE ride for trips.
    Thus the friction between 'docking masters' and river pilots.
    Share on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cappy208 For This Useful Post:

Jolly Tar (February 9th, 2013)

ElCapitan is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

You can ride the ships at South West Pass, if you are related to a pilot.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Yes im in Jax. Ive got my pinky toe in right now with the guys who dock ships for Moran. I just need to get my paperwork taken care of and keep training in my spare time. The relations with the state pilots are pretty good they have a good group of guys here.
    Share on Facebook

lemurian is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

I believe the tonnage of both tug and tow apply. If you've been pulling barges, use their gross tonnage. As for ship assist, I don't know.
    Share on Facebook

chile caliente is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemurian
    I believe the tonnage of both tug and tow apply. If you've been pulling barges, use their gross tonnage. As for ship assist, I don't know.
    Please site regs for this, find it doubtful
    Share on Facebook

z-drive is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chile caliente

Please site regs for this, find it doubtful
    46 CFR ch 1, 11.713 subpart d

Combined gross tonnage of towing vessel and the vessel(s) in tow will be considered.

That's why you need the packet from the local REC. they really can't deny you FCP for tug/barge trips over 1,600 tons but if its in their rules can limit it to "unlimited tug and barge" unless you have ship trips.
    Share on Facebook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to z-drive For This Useful Post:

chile caliente (February 9th, 2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast