Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipwreck Men

brjones is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Shipwreck Men

Anyone seen this show on Discovery? I just watched it for the first time this morning. They had this kid respond to a yacht dead in the water from an engine room fire. The kid jumps on the yacht where they tell him they just had a fire in the engine room. The kid says "these boats have halon systems that extinguish the fire" He then proceeds to open the ER door and go in. In a matter of seconds he stumbles out coughing and gagging. Now its a fairly new yacht so I am think that halon is not being used but rather CO2. Either way was I the only one watching him enter the engine room with out any breathing apparatus and thinking to my self "idiot"? Other than that the show is kind of cool
    Share on Facebook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brjones For This Useful Post:

captaint76 (January 27th, 2013), Sweat-n-Grease (January 27th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Shipwreck Men

Lucky kid this time, good thing I'm to cheap to buy cable otherwise I'd probably watch it too.
    Share on Facebook

Sweat-n-Grease is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 625 Posts

I didn't see it but the "kid" obviously had lousy fire fighting training, if he had any. Never open a door to a space containing fire without wearing the proper protection and taking due caution. He's lucky he didn't get hit with back draft.
    ~ the road goes on forever and the party never ends ~
    Share on Facebook

captrob is online now gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat-n-Grease View Post
    I didn't see it but the "kid" obviously had lousy fire fighting training, if he had any. Never open a door to a space containing fire without wearing the proper protection and taking due caution. He's lucky he didn't get hit with back draft.
    Yeah, but the hope of seeing that is the reason I'll probably watch it now.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat-n-Grease View Post
    Yeah I am thinking he doesn't have any training. He said he wants to make sure the fire is out. Well you never open the door too soon as you may reignite the fire. Then what? Now you have to send men in there to put it out as you've exhausted your fixed system. So not only did he endanger himself but everyone on board.
    Share on Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to brjones For This Useful Post:

Sweat-n-Grease (January 27th, 2013)

Clear Solution is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

That shows such a crock of shit. A bunch of kids running around like maniacs trying to slit each others throats over a few bucks. It will surprise me if they finish the season without a serious injury.

It's as real as the "tugboat warrior" show... Soaps for the maritime workers.
    Share on Facebook

tradsailor is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

...just like bearing gold, axe men, swamp whatever, whale wars,etc. if you're good (or even competent) at what you do, it makes for pretty boring film.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Maybe I have become dense from all the fumes I breathe but I have to admit I am entertained by swamp people. That and duck dynasty.
    Share on Facebook

rshrew is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brjones
    Maybe I have become dense from all the fumes I breathe but I have to admit I am entertained by swamp people. That and duck dynasty.
    I'm with you on duck dynasty that cracks me up!
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Another show coming out is the Southie show about you Boston boys. I am sure we all know some one from that area. As small as Mass is, I dont think I have ever been on a ship that didn't have half the crew from Boston.
    Share on Facebook

MariaW is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Forgive my ignorance in all things salvage. Something I don't understand about this show, and of course they don't explain - how is towing a boat considered salvage? They had a few tows in there that cost thousands of dollars, and the first one there gets the job? Who made up those rules? If I call a specific company to tow my boat, I'm not going to accept some other guy coming along. Why were the tows so costly? I had to call for a tow once on a 26 ft boat, and it only would have cost a few hundred dollars. (I had SeaTow so didn't have to pay for it) In the first show of the series, they have a guy trying to put out a fire consuming a yacht. He says if he puts it out before it sinks, he'll get $20K. Why? The thing was completely destroyed. Who pays the $20K ?

Cleaning wrecks off the bottom of the Keys paid $1K per boat and they said the gov't pays that. Seems much more reasonable and much harder work for the money.
    Share on Facebook

cmakin is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I watched the first episode. That was enough. I thought it was going to be about Bisso, Titan, Resolve and Smit. Meh, what a load of crap. Typical of the crap shows that have become a cancer on TV these days. Swamp People? I watched the first season. I'm sorry, I work in southern Louisiana too much to enjoy that show.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast