Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornbeck

groessleriv is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Hornbeck

Anybody know if they are currently hiring captains? I heard there was a hiring freeze until they kick out some new boats
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,516 Posts

Default Re: Hornbeck

Quote Originally Posted by groessleriv View Post
    Anybody know if they are currently hiring captains? I heard there was a hiring freeze until they kick out some new boats
    GODDAMMIT! There's already a bloody shitload of threads here about HOS. Go find one and read it to get the answers you seek!

THIS IS JUST BLOODY RIDICULOUS!
    Share on Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

CaptHH (January 26th, 2013)

Fraqrat is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 538 Posts

If you have at least 1600/3000 license and full DP certificate they will definitely be interested. If you don't have DP your gonna probably have to wait it out. Use the search function I've covered all this in great detail in recent months.
    Share on Facebook

CurryAK is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Those "answers" are always changing though. I for one always enjoy reading these types of posts. Maybe a new thread was not needed but the OP was a good one.

I have a question about all these new boats though. Are there enough mariners to crew all the new vessels due in the next few years?
    Share on Facebook

lemurian is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CurryAK View Post

I have a question about all these new boats though. Are there enough mariners to crew all the new vessels due in the next few years?
    Especially if Manila Amendment rules regarding rest are implemented into CFRs. Stay tuned. . .
    Share on Facebook

Fraqrat is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 538 Posts

We would be hiring more people now but don't have room for them. Just about every bunk on every boat is full at the moment. Will there be enough mariners to crew all the newbuilds in the coming years is a good question. All the mud boat companies are building as well as the drilling contractors it's gonna be interesting to say the least. I'm wondering what if any type of study has been done to show the impact of enforcing the Manilla rest amendments. Has someone said there is no way we have enough people to do this and commerce will be affected? Would they delay enforcing it? Is this an end run around the JA to get foreign mariners a toehold in the domestic job market?
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Come on people...OMSA gives the USCG their marching orders and they are not going to allow the STCW Manila Ammendments to change a damned thing in the GoM as far as operating OSVs are concerned.

DO YOU KNOW THAT A LARGE OSV LICENSE IS NOT RECOGNIZED UNDER THE STCW HENCE BY THE IMO? IT SHOULD HAVE THE VALUE OF TOILET PAPER EXCEPT OMSA MADE DAMNED SURE THE USCG WENT RIGHT ALONG!

Enough of this nonsense now! We've done this never ending dance too many times and my effing feet are sore!
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

ChiefRob (January 26th, 2013)

Capt. Phoenix is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain View Post
    DO YOU KNOW THAT A LARGE OSV LICENSE IS NOT RECOGNIZED UNDER THE STCW HENCE BY THE IMO? IT SHOULD HAVE THE VALUE OF TOILET PAPER EXCEPT OMSA MADE DAMNED SURE THE USCG WENT RIGHT ALONG!

Yet Brazil still recognizes it and allows Americans to work on a large OSV in Brazil with it.
    Share on Facebook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Capt. Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Fraqrat (January 26th, 2013)

ChiefRob is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

I don't really see the manilla ammendments on rest being an issue on the majority of the boats in the GOM. The only ones that would be affected would be maybe the small boat companines that still have only one engineer onboard. The big companies I don't see anything changing or being an issue. It is pretty rare for anyone to work more than there scheduled watch where I am at.

I really dont think the OMSA companies will let anything happen to the jones act either. They for the most part have a monopoly here inthe gulf. I am pretty sure they will fight to keep it that way. They don't want to compete with fillipino flag boats any more than we want to work for fillipino wages. Just my opinion.
    Share on Facebook

ChiefRob is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Phoenix View Post
    Yet Brazil still recognizes it and allows Americans to work on a large OSV in Brazil with it.
    Only on an American falg vessel, you cant work on anything else with that endorsment. That is where the IMO does not recgonize it.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRob View Post
    Only on an American falg vessel, you cant work on anything else with that endorsment. That is where the IMO does not recgonize it.
    And that's only because the OMSA companies have stroke in Brazil plus they're all on the take down there anyway. See how far that license will go in the North Sea?
    Share on Facebook

anchorman is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain

And that's only because the OMSA companies have stroke in Brazil and their all on the take down there anyway. See how far that license will go in the North Sea?
    If there was a reason or the need there, it would be so.
    "Captain standard operating procedure for decision making is to do what feels right to you at the time, and then to give logical sounding justifications for what you were already going to do anyway" -
    Share on Facebook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to anchorman For This Useful Post:

Fraqrat (January 26th, 2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast