Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master looking for work

Captttam is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

Default Master looking for work

I recently had my Unlimited masters license reinstated. I have anchor handling , towing , Cargo ship, drillship , research vessel experience.
    Just completed DP school at L-3 Communications in Houston. I have been making applications online, but am concerned I am not making any headway. No one wants to talk on the phone or even going to a office to talk eye to eye.
    If anyone is looking for a chief mate or Master , give me a jingle I am ready to go back to work.
    Thanks and Regards
    Captttam
    Share on Facebook

RubberRhib888 is online now Old Salt
    Thanks

You're not going to get any hand-outs here on this forum. If you haven't put in at least 40 hours of research reading previous posts.....don't expect a reply past this one. I hear the faint sounds of sharpening tools at work.....
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,613 Posts

Default Re: Master looking for work

Quote Originally Posted by RubberRhib888 View Post
    You're not going to get any hand-outs here on this forum. If you haven't put in at least 40 hours of research reading previous posts.....don't expect a reply past this one. I hear the faint sounds of sharpening tools at work.....
    I'll keep the stick sheathed for the moment, but our fellow must remember his license and past experience will count for little where he is looking. He has to compete with everybody else out there crawling for the same entry level mate's spots. His having anchor experience is the only benefit which could help open a door but it depends on how many years ago his experience is from. The thing to know is that nobody, but nobody is going to talk to him about a master's position for several years. We ALL have to pay our dues in this bloody industry and that included me 6 years ago when I first came to the GoM and it still even goes for me today. There are no free rides for anyone out there.
    Share on Facebook

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

cmakin (January 22nd, 2013), RubberRhib888 (January 21st, 2013), seadog6608 (January 22nd, 2013)

cappy208 is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

What do you mean: Reinstated? Reinstated sounds like you let it lapse for continuity. Thus means you have at least 5 years out of the loop. No one cares what you did 5 years ago. I have been sailing for 40 years. Although 30 of it is 'legal'(over 18) I have been licensed for 27. Sailed Mate for 5.5 years Master the rest. Even I know, if I were to go somewhere else I would have to 'put my time in' as a 'lowly Mate. Maybe you need to realize that too. Humbling? Very. And so it goes.
    Share on Facebook

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cappy208 For This Useful Post:

seadog6608 (January 22nd, 2013), z-drive (January 21st, 2013)

PDCMATE is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captttam View Post
    I recently had my Unlimited masters license reinstated. I have anchor handling , towing , Cargo ship, drillship , research vessel experience.
    Just completed DP school at L-3 Communications in Houston. I have been making applications online, but am concerned I am not making any headway. No one wants to talk on the phone or even going to a office to talk eye to eye.
    If anyone is looking for a chief mate or Master , give me a jingle I am ready to go back to work.
    Thanks and Regards
    Captttam
    Lapse or Suspension???
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PDCMATE View Post
    Lapse or Suspension???
    I was going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe he meant "renewed" but who the hell knows? I wanted him to know that there are no GoM positions as master or chief mate even without paying one's dues as a lower level mate with the possible exception of Noble but the word I have is that they aren't bringing anyone new in at this time. I'd say that with anchor experience and a towing endorsement that ECO is the best with holding a UL master. I know one they have sailing as a mate/dpo on one of the very big anchor boats trying to get his time to earn his DP. With the very big Subsea vessels they have coming there is a future there but again, one has to pay one's dues to get the prize which this fellow is doing.

Last edited by c.captain; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
    Share on Facebook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

seadog6608 (January 22nd, 2013)

PDCMATE is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c.captain View Post
    I was going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe he meant "renewed" but who the hell knows? I wanted him to know that there are no GoM positions as master or chief mate even without paying one's dues as a lower level mate with the possible exception of Noble but the word I have is that they aren't bringing anyone new in at this time. I'd say that with anchor experience and a towing endorsement that ECO is the best with holding a UL master. I know one they have sailing as a mate/dpo trying to get his time to earn a DP certificate. With the very big Subsea vessels they have coming there is a future there but again, one has to pay one's dues to get the prize.
    There is Transocean right now. They are looking for management licenses, and they will bring in a CM or Master and make him sail as DPO for a couple years (2 yrs roughly), then move him up the ranks.
    Share on Facebook

anchorman is offline Super Moderator
    Thanks

Those credentials will get you a job, but not necessarily a certain position. Just make sure when you apply or speak with HR personnel, that they know you are willing to take whatever position is open. Your job performance will dictate the rest when it comes to promotions, etc..
    By the time anyone makes Master or has the license, you would have networked with so many people over the years, finding a job is usually the easy part. Not so?
    "Captain standard operating procedure for decision making is to do what feels right to you at the time, and then to give logical sounding justifications for what you were already going to do anyway" -
    Share on Facebook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anchorman For This Useful Post:

tugsailor (January 23rd, 2013)

Captttam is offline Just Browsing
    Thanks

Of course I am willing to take any position that is open. I didn't post here, to receive a bunch of negative responses. I was not suspended, I placed my license in continuity back in 2000, and have had a lucrative business since. Two years ago, I met my current wife, 16 years younger than me, and we have 10 month old twins. I took my license out of continuity and began taking all the necessary classes, and everything is so different from back when I was working. I used to could put a suit on and go talk to HR, and now it's all done online, and that is why I came to this forum, so I could learn about the new way things are done. I have networked with many over the years, yes, however most of those people are retired now or working desk jobs somewhere. I had DP all those years ago and now I must earn it again, and I need sea time for that.

I guess I made a huge mistake by putting my license in continuity, and running the business full-time. I'm not opposed to being "a lowly mate" or "paying my dues" at all. I just wanted some help figuring out the new way this is all done.

Thanks.
    Share on Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captttam View Post
    Of course I am willing to take any position that is open. I didn't post here, to receive a bunch of negative responses. I was not suspended, I placed my license in continuity back in 2000, and have had a lucrative business since. Two years ago, I met my current wife, 16 years younger than me, and we have 10 month old twins. I took my license out of continuity and began taking all the necessary classes, and everything is so different from back when I was working. I used to could put a suit on and go talk to HR, and now it's all done online, and that is why I came to this forum, so I could learn about the new way things are done. I have networked with many over the years, yes, however most of those people are retired now or working desk jobs somewhere. I had DP all those years ago and now I must earn it again, and I need sea time for that.

I guess I made a huge mistake by putting my license in continuity, and running the business full-time. I'm not opposed to being "a lowly mate" or "paying my dues" at all. I just wanted some help figuring out the new way this is all done.

Thanks.
    We don't care about your story of your "lucrative" business and wife "16 years younger than" you. Just stick to the facts which is that you walked away from your career and want to just walk back in while the rest of us have slogged through it year after year.

You've actually made me more uncaring about you now even if you are willing to be "a lowly mate" again. Plenty of good young men want those same jobs and I think are MORE deserving to be considered!

You're welcome
    Share on Facebook

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

10 month old twins at 54? Mercy. I am tired thinking about it.
    Share on Facebook

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catherder For This Useful Post:

RubberRhib888 (January 29th, 2013), seadog6608 (January 30th, 2013)

CurryAK is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Hes socially challenged, please forgive him for he represents only himself and not the masses. Congratulations on the young wife and I bet those twins will be a hand full. Good luck in your job hunt.
    Share on Facebook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CurryAK For This Useful Post:

Starboard Ten (January 29th, 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast