Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Huge imbalance in world economy (mariners not given due recognition)

navigator is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default Huge imbalance in world economy (mariners not given due recognition)

I do wonder how less importance is shown to mariners. Considering 98% of the world economy passes through the sea and the involvement of mariners to make this a reality, hectic schedule to say the least. The world economy get me spurned when I try to comprehend why a guy kicks a round leather ball for 90min, exercise, and get paid in A WEEK what a captain/master toiling and bearing the risk of millions of dollars will get paid in A YEAR. I do really think something is very wrong somewhere. Will really appreciate any explanation to this absurdity.... Please..
    Share on Facebook

BMCSRetired is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Default Re: Huge imbalance in world economy (mariners not given due recognition)

The same reason that teachers, the people we trust with our kids get paid squat even when defending them (Newtown) to the death.

Because business and money run the world. Nobody wants to pay us more than we make. Its the same for athletes. If nobody was paying the prices for tickets and burgers and abber and parking, than would be making no more than we do.

That's why I don't bitch when someone is getting paid millions to play a game. If I could get that kind of money for what I do, I would do the same.
    Share on Facebook

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BMCSRetired For This Useful Post:

Clear Solution (January 6th, 2013), Fraqrat (January 6th, 2013), PaddyWest2012 (January 8th, 2013), RubberRhib888 (January 8th, 2013)

PMC
    PMC is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Default Re: Huge imbalance in world economy (mariners not given due recognition)

Still fighting some of those childhood demons? Were you the last person picked every time at recess? The only reason you got to play was because you brought the ball?
    Share on Facebook

AB Murph is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Really, many folks have the ability to be a captain but not many have the ability to play pro sports. There are more smart folks then folks wirh god gifted athletic ability. Just because you went to college doesn't mean your smart, just look at some of the athletes and captains.
    Share on Facebook

Clear Solution is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Hell, look at ABs...
    Share on Facebook

catherder is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    Still fighting some of those childhood demons? Were you the last person picked every time at recess? The only reason you got to play was because you brought the ball?

Aw hell. I was the kid they called, "Four Eyes," and I didn't even wear glasses.
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,611 Posts

Here's an idea...make people who earn over $10M per year pay 75% income tax on their excessive earnings or better still enact a wealth tax as opposed to an income tax which is the only really true progressive tax structure. Furthermore, demand that the Cayman Islands immediately release the identities of all US citizen account holders in that country just like we did to Switzerland. Force the mega rich to come clean and PAY BACK TO SOCIETY FOR THEIR ABILITY TO KEEP THEIR WEALTH!

There that should ignite a small firestorm here!
    Share on Facebook

Capt. Phoenix is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

c.captain, have you heard of the fair tax? Essentially a federal sales tax of ~22% and no other federal taxes. No loop holes or exemptions, just the more one spends the more one pays in tax.
    Share on Facebook

PR-9 is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

It won't work! The government knows about how much money in taxes they will collect every year. If you have a fare tax the income for the government will fluctuate way to much for any acurate budget to be set (not that they are doing a good jod about it now, but I am just saying! !) They can't afford to have their income (income tax being the number one source of revenue for the US government) change as the economy gets tight and people become more and more frugal.
    Share on Facebook

PR-9 is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Fair tax! Not fare tax, sorry!!
    Share on Facebook

powerabout is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

well run countries ( people from badly run countries call them tax havens) will just sell passports and are indeed doing that, although there are 2 frogs that have hit the press lately you will find that its Americans that are the biggest movers of nationality.
    ( unless your Murdoch and he needed to buy in to get rich(er) )
    Share on Facebook

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,611 Posts

tax the income at the source where it is earned not where the person lives (yeah, I'm talkin to all you fucking foreign mariners in the GoM and it should come out of YOUR PAYCHECK not paid by your company!)
    Share on Facebook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

Fraqrat (January 9th, 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast