Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USCG vets

MFOWelectrician is online now gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

Default USCG vets

My brother in law has a charge of manufacturing and distribution of a controlled substance over 400 grams (MDMA). What are his chances of fulfilling the USCG requirements on getting an entry level position into either the merchant mariners industry or oil field? His probation is over in a year and a half and he has been throwing the possibility around of getting into the offshore industry?
    Share on Facebook

LI_Domer is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

Is it a conviction or was it just a charge? And manufacturing and distributing, isn't that a felony? I think he may have screwed himself sorry.
    Share on Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LI_Domer For This Useful Post:

MFOWelectrician (January 2nd, 2013)

Thanks

I believe it was a felony. Not sure if it was a charge or conviction. I wonder how many years till it clears? Or do those things ever clear?
    Share on Facebook

LI_Domer is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

If it was a felony conviction it will be with him for life, along with loosening the right to vote, own a gun, or serve in the military, maybe even serve on a jury(not sure). Felony convictions seriously limit you.
    Share on Facebook

crabboyjimmy is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

The cfrs had a grid on how long the felony would limit you. I think murder was only 9 years. The drug part of the charge will cause the problems. USCG foesnt mess around when it comes to that
    Share on Facebook

Jeffrox is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Share on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrox For This Useful Post:

c.captain is online now Top Contributer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,511 Posts

Default Re: USCG vets

Quote Originally Posted by MFOWelectrician View Post
    My brother in law has a charge of manufacturing and distribution of a controlled substance over 400 grams (MDMA). What are his chances of fulfilling the USCG requirements on getting an entry level position into either the merchant mariners industry or oil field? His probation is over in a year and a half and he has been throwing the possibility around of getting into the offshore industry?
    plenty of offshore catering companies would love to sign him up right now even!
    Share on Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to c.captain For This Useful Post:

jdcavo is offline Top Contributer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MFOWelectrician View Post
    See 46 CFR 10.211(f) and (l): (http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx....2.7.6&idno=46)

(f) No person who has been convicted of a violation of the dangerous drug laws of the United States, the District of Columbia, any State, territory, or possession of the United States, or a foreign country, by any military or civilian court, is eligible for an MMC, except as provided elsewhere in this section. No person who has ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of a dangerous drug, or has ever been convicted of an offense described in section 205 of the National Driver Register Act of 1982, as amended (49 U.S.C. 30304) because of addiction to or abuse of alcohol is eligible for an MMC, unless he or she furnishes satisfactory evidence of suitability for service in the merchant marine as provided in paragraph (l) of this section. A conviction for a drug offense more than 10 years before the date of application will not alone be grounds for denial.

(l) If an applicant has one or more alcohol or dangerous drug related criminal or NDR-listed convictions, if the applicant has ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug, or if the applicant applies before the minimum assessment period has elapsed for his or her conviction, the Coast Guard may consider the following factors, as applicable, in assessing the applicant's suitability to hold an MMC. This list is intended as a guide for the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard may consider other factors appropriate to a particular applicant, such as:

(1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;

(2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous;

(3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant's sobriety, reliability, and suitability for employment in the merchant marine including parole or probation officers;

(4) Steady employment; and

(5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation.
    James D. Cavo
    U.S. Coast Guard
    Mariner Credentialing Program
    Policy Division (CG-5434)
    James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil
    Share on Facebook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jdcavo For This Useful Post:

MFOWelectrician (January 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

I understand that my brother in law probably doesn't stand a chance meeting the Coast Guard requirements because of his past choices. I am now thinking of trying to help get him on a land oil rig. I found a school in Canada that trains candidates (www.mdslimited.ca). Because of his past history he probably will not be able to get into the country for the school. My question is, is there another school in the states that offers the same services and can someone with a dented past be allowed into the land oil industry? Perhaps this may not be the correct forum to ask. I am still in the frustrated process of dealing with professor Google. Hopefully gCaptain members can point me in the right direction.
    Share on Facebook

powerabout is offline Old Salt
    Thanks

trouble is any employer can find out if you have ever had an arrest record and choose not to employ you.
    Nasty system in the US, a policeman chooses to arrest you for no reason and there is no charge yet you are still marked for life, brilliant system for shortening the unemployment queue..NOT!
    Share on Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to powerabout For This Useful Post:

MFOWelectrician (June 16th, 2013)

boatengineer is offline gCaptain Crew
    Thanks

He could always go to work as a rigger with Royal Eagle. Most of their guys are out on work release
    Share on Facebook

17. The Following User Says Thank You to boatengineer For This Useful Post:

MFOWelectrician (June 17th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boatengineer
    He could always go to work as a rigger with Royal Eagle. Most of their guys are out on work release
    Just the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you.
    Share on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast